Silkie Crosses

turtle1173

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
SE Missouri
I have a partridge Silkie Roo that is mixed with various hens (see my sig. line).

While I was hatching some Welsummer eggs, I put a couple of my brown eggs in "Just to see if they were fertile." Well, one of them is developing and is due to hatch on Sunday.

I was curious on what I can expect on a "Mix" like this. What will be dominant from the silkie that will show up on the hatchling?

The hen is most likely a NHR, RIR, Black Sexlink or White plymouth rock.

Thanks,
Shane

I hatched out 4 chicks from a Rhode Island Red hen x Splash silkie cock.
They all were regular feathered, all had feathered legs, all had black skin, all had a bit of a crest and muffed and bearded. 3 had 5 toes, 1 only had 4.
All were blue with some lacing or red.
These are two of the three hens
7208045.jpg

7208046.jpg

I have pics of the rooster somewhere, but not with me at the moment. He had red hackles and saddles but was blue as well. The one other hen had red around the neck.

Last edited:
this is a silkie hybrid. I don't know what it's mixed with but she does have blue ears and is very broody

may-june081138.jpg

here's a picture of her sister, and 2 of her babies.(they are very broody). The babies are 1/4 silkie, 1/4 ?, and 1/2 australorp.

aug08133.jpg

aug08129.jpg

aug08130.jpg

Usually black skin is dominant in the first outcrossing. Silkie feathering will be dominant if you were to breed your crosses back to a silkie bird... And if I'm not mistaken, the 5 toes is usually dominant too. This is all of course, what I have read from others, as I do not allow my Silkies to cross breed color much less breeds, so I can't speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom