newchikenlady

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Only one of our silkie eggs hatched and she was cheeping constantly except for at night. We’ve made sure her brooder is at about 95 degrees and put a mirror and feather duster in her brooder in case she was lonely. She only stops cheeping for maybe one minute at a time and she does not seem to nap as much as chicks we’ve had in the past.

So today (on day 4), we bought her two similar aged chicks to keep her company. We were hoping this would stop the incessant cheeping, but so far it hasn’t....

Will this stop over the next couple days?
Are silkie chicks generally noisier than other types?
Is something wrong with her?

Only one of our silkie eggs hatched and she was cheeping constantly except for at night. We’ve made sure her brooder is at about 95 degrees and put a mirror and feather duster in her brooder in case she was lonely. She only stops cheeping for maybe one minute at a time and she does not seem to nap as much as chicks we’ve had in the past.

So today (on day 4), we bought her two similar aged chicks to keep her company. We were hoping this would stop the incessant cheeping, but so far it hasn’t....

Will this stop over the next couple days?
Are silkie chicks generally noisier than other types?
Is something wrong with her?

I had a noisy chick hatched and I could not figure it out. For me it was the light, the red light calmed it down and it was not fond of the heat pad. I’m not sure if you have a red light bulb for warmth. But usually when they chirp non stop there is reason behind it. Is the chick eating and drinking? What’s the bedding like, what are you using for heat?

Our silkie chick did that. Would NOT shut up. It had no other chicks with it, just a mirror and a mop. No luck.
Then, we figured it out. It wanted to be tucked in. We put it into a folded throw and that did the trick. So, every night we had to tuck Daisey in.
Daisey in bed.jpg

So, she slept in a throw in a cat bed till she got out of the chick phase.

We got a Welsummer chick last week and had the same problem. I tried the same trick with a towel and it worked.

I had a noisy chick hatched and I could not figure it out. For me it was the light, the red light calmed it down and it was not fond of the heat pad. I’m not sure if you have a red light bulb for warmth. But usually when they chirp non stop there is reason behind it. Is the chick eating and drinking? What’s the bedding like, what are you using for heat?

Thank you for your response!! Ok so I think I just wasn’t being patient enough. Our silkie is now much happier now that she’s gotten used to her new friends. She is much more quiet, can be calmed down easier when we hold her, and is sleeping more!

Our silkie chick did that. Would NOT shut up. It had no other chicks with it, just a mirror and a mop. No luck.
Then, we figured it out. It wanted to be tucked in. We put it into a folded throw and that did the trick. So, every night we had to tuck Daisey in.View attachment 2182800
So, she slept in a throw in a cat bed till she got out of the chick phase.

We got a Welsummer chick last week and had the same problem. I tried the same trick with a towel and it worked.

That’s adorable and so good to know! Thanks for sharing!

I have a silkie with 2 barred rock chicks. All of them are 8 weeks old. My silkie is by far the loudest of the bunch. Always lets me know when he wants new water or food and when it's bedtime. He knows when I walk toward his own he's getting treats and starts with the noisy chirping. He's just very talkative.

I have a silkie with 2 barred rock chicks. All of them are 8 weeks old. My silkie is by far the loudest of the bunch. Always lets me know when he wants new water or food and when it's bedtime. He knows when I walk toward his own he's getting treats and starts with the noisy chirping. He's just very talkative.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I kept reading that silkies weren't very talkative, so I was especially worried since I thought they were supposed to be super quiet.

Back
Top Bottom