Silkie Dry Drowning??

Anabariful

Songster
Apr 25, 2017
Beautiful Ohio
Long story short, I had just purchased some turkey poults from a breeder yesterday and today found lice on them. :( They were outside in a small pen next to my silkie pen. I decided to bathe my Silkies in Dawn in case the lice had somehow traveled over to their pen. They are 5 week old silkie chicks. I had two soaking at the same time when one kinda had a "freak out" moment causing the other to get dunked twice. :(( I feel awful and have heard about dry drowning in humans. Is it possible for my silkie to dry drown? Will he/she be okay??? :( It was wheezing a tad bit but I immediately rinsed it off, towel dried and sat under a heating light. It appears to be back to normal but I'm not sure how much water it may have inhaled. :(

I'm not sure about your question, but I do have two for you.
Will you update us in a week as to if the dawn worked or not and
Do you plan on treating your coop?

I'm not sure about your question, but I do have two for you.
Will you update us in a week as to if the dawn worked or not and
Do you plan on treating your coop?

I believe Dawn in combo with salt water and a vinegar rinse are effective as that it what I Googled and got a Backyard Chicken forum response to :) I will try to get the link.

Don't worry..i don't need the link.
I just want to know in a week if it works for you.
That's all.

It's possible she may have aspirated some water. Keep watch on her, if the wheezing continues or worsens, then you may need to see a vet - aspirated liquids can turn into "aspiration pneumonia".

Wheezing as stopped now that he/she is all dried. It appears to be acting normal i.e. scratching around, chirping, etc. What symptoms should I be looking for? Loss of appetite, labored breathing, generally ill? How long should I be watching for symptoms? 72 hours? A week? Thanks for the reply! <3 It was awful and I believe he/she was only submerged a second or two but since they are so tiny, I'm assuming that is all it takes. :(

Last edited:
Don't worry..i don't need the link.
I just want to know in a week if it works for you.
That's all.
They are in brooder boxes (plastic totes in my garage, so not near my laying hens at all). I will only be treating these 2 groups and not my laying hens or ducks but I will be keeping tabs on the laying hens and ducks just in case. I will rewash these groups in 7-10 days when eggs (if there are any) are supposed to hatch and come back to let everyone how it goes. I will be using wood ash to dust and clean brooder boxes after a thorough washing and use the wood ash on the ground where they were penned up.

IMG_1806.PNG
IMG_1801.JPG
Just wanted to include some photos of the disgusting little buggers I found on my Royal Palm turkey poults..this was after I smashed it.

I would watch her for a couple of days. But having clear breathing now is good. Symptoms would include wheezing, sounding congested, labored breathing - what you would imagine that pneumonia symptoms sound like in a human.

It may be that being dunked stressed her a bit. I think from the activity level you are describing she will be fine:)

I would watch her for a couple of days. But having clear breathing now is good. Symptoms would include wheezing, sounding congested, labored breathing - what you would imagine that pneumonia symptoms sound like in a human.

It may be that being dunked stressed her a bit. I think from the activity level you are describing she will be fine:)

Thank you for the small relief! She/he is my only beloved Cuckoo Silkie and I would be devastated if I lost her/him. I will be keeping a close watch on her/him.

Back
Top Bottom