Silkie Duck Thread

clap.gif
Yay! I don't have to change the name spelling on this thread then or anything on my website/facebook/or BYC
Unless they decide to change it again!!
lau.gif

I got the very first Silkie duck egg a couple days ago! Cutest little green egg..... still waiting for more. I'm tempted to put them under a broody Barred Rock. Part of me wants to give them a try in the incubator and another part of me wants to let the broody do it.
hide.gif
I'll probably end up doing both if they get to laying good.

I got the very first Silkie duck egg a couple days ago! Cutest little green egg..... still waiting for more. I'm tempted to put them under a broody Barred Rock. Part of me wants to give them a try in the incubator and another part of me wants to let the broody do it.
hide.gif
I'll probably end up doing both if they get to laying good.
They are hard to hatch. I'd let the broody try.

That's the part that scares me too.
Since they have not laid anymore eggs yet I'm probably going to just fire up the incubator for this 1 egg. It's so sad to fire up a cabinet incubator capable of holding 270 eggs for 1 egg but I'll throw in some cochin eggs too and just see if they can handle the high humidity.

Oh they are gorgeous ducks! How big are they compared to KC or Anconas? A lot smaller? I want one(or five!)
What about them makes them hard to hatch? I am thinking later this summer or next spring I want to build(or buy?) an incubator and start hatching chicks and ducklings. Would love to hatch me a few of these gorgeous babies! :)

Oh they are gorgeous ducks! How big are they compared to KC or Anconas? A lot smaller? I want one(or five!)
What about them makes them hard to hatch? I am thinking later this summer or next spring I want to build(or buy?) an incubator and start hatching chicks and ducklings. Would love to hatch me a few of these gorgeous babies! :)
The silkies are a bantam breed much like a call duck in size. I'm not sure why they are harder to hatch maybe like calls because of their tiny size but this will be my first time attempting to hatch the silkie eggs. I'm waiting for all of the girls to get going but for now I'll just keep popping the eggs in my incubator. I'll be taking notes on hatching them this year.

Oh, good a SilkyDuck thread (thought I 'd spell it different to confuse it more ;0)..I have been off BYC for months as I am grandchild sitting, that and birds, horses, etc . I finally got enough Sikies to breed this year ! I got 2 2 years ago form Holdreeads (girls, one black , one white). Last year I got 7. I thought I had 2 girls and 5 boys, buuuuuttttt...what I thought was a white girl, looks like now is a boy. I got a girl who is brown (may be mallard, but not sure), laying paired her with a snowy (i think) boy. My black girl is with a black, white bibbed boy. The white female is with a snowy, but will swap to the white boy in a week or two. I have a dozen eggs, going into incubator this week... may be fertile.... the boys are only 10 months old, so not sure they "get it " yet....:0) then I plan to put some more in incubator in 2 weeks, then run the other incubator next month. (I have 2 Hovabators)
So I have 1 black female, 1 white, 1 brown.....I have 3 snowy boys, 1 black bibbed boy, 1 white boy , 1 smooth mallard boy. Wouldln't mind swapping a boy for another girl.....
A lot of variation. One has shorter beaks like calls,(the bibbed black boy)....I would think we'd want to lose that....the white male is bigger than the others.... I am trying I think for color first to stabilize....at least now , I am breeding color as close as I have. I can get Phone pics , but have to figure out how to get them on. My camera is full, so I have to figure that out too...not a real geek, but have some family that is....
Took me 3 years to get mine, first year I didn't get any from Holderreads, 2nd I got 2, third , hit the jackpot.
Anybody have drake feathers on their boys? Seems like they don't get them if Silky.... (as my boys developed), unless they are smooth.....Had to wait for voice....that and No eggs!
th.gif
(tipped me off to the white one)

Back
Top Bottom