Silkie Feathered Ameraucanas adventure

Thank you both, that was my gut reaction. I am glad you think so too though. I know there have been issues with yolk sacks not absorbed.
The egg up here is peeping and I can see it moving around. It looks like the membrane is drying out though and the humidity is down to 48.

I am worried about opening the vent plug to add water. The chicks hatch date is tomorrow, so I am not sure if I should help it soon or let it be as long as it is still stuggling. I know that struggling helps it to pull the yolk sack in... but I don't know how late too late is?

Get a warm, wet washcloth and throw it in there fast. That should help get the humidity up. Since it's early, I'd try to wait as long as possible before I help it out. I had to help one of my January chicks out, and it's doing fine.

But I've had chicks die that I've helped, too. So -
hu.gif

It's a hard decision.

LOL Now I fogged it up, but I took the plug and layed it upside down on the vent and it is clearing up enough to see again. The chick is still wiggling and peeping.

Odd the other eggs in there--4 Marans and the other soft feathered Serendipity haven't pipped. But there is peeping downstairs. They all come at their own speed

hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
I am horrible! I stole the broody eggs!!!! I couldn't take it anymore, not knowing.

The one in the incubator was a dud, I candled and opened it.
hit.gif

But... the 4 under the broody are ALIVE and PEEPING!!!! They are in the hatcher and I am waiting, waiting waiting. That yolk sack needs to absorb so as long as chick # 1 is wiggling and alive I will leave them alone. When it slows down then I go in.

Edited to add that I put the 4 Marans eggs due to hatch at the same time under the broody--so she has some eggs. I am not completely terrible

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what i do, on the "important" eggs I brood. My broodies are a twenty minute drive from home though... Last night my first pure Ameracuana split to lavender was pipped under the silkies, so I did battle with them and took the pipped egg. It was cool and windy and the chick told me my judgement was off a bit with a few shrill peeps when I first took it out of the nest box. Then I got going in the truck, oops, no gas. Gotta go put gas in the old truck, with a pipped egg in my hand... phone rang, cell phone on my shoulder, pipped egg in my hand, gassing up the old truck. Dropped the phone. Picked it up. Finished with the gas, got back in the truck and drove home. Hatched fine last night in the hatcher. Okay, NOW you guys know how for real BAD I am with my babies sometimes. Chick is doing great however, in the newborn brooder with a handful of other chicks that hatched two days ago, lots of blue food coloring on his butt to tell it apart.

Quote:
You are so wonderful!!! Thank you, I feel so much better! I wouldn't have done it if these eggs weren't special but they are! I got to thinking that if they were just under her butt then why not grab them and put them in the hatcher. They were not under any controlled humidity (other that a broody behind which-I know- is the best) but the trip upstairs couldn't have hurt. I did a quick candle and in they went.

The humidity has spiked up 7 % so they must be doing something good in there!

Patty you are a great storyteller, I can actually see all that in my mind, and what a hoot! Great, you are just great!

OMG, Patty, what a story! Kinda like living with Murphy's Law as guidance. Glad to hear the chick survived the ordeal.

Germaine, Yes, that is what I would have done, too! They are gonna make it .... I can just feel it!
fl.gif

Come on, chickies!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom