Silkie foamy white eye Update ***SICK GLWyandotte Today PLEASE HELP!!

Where do you live in LA?? There are TONS of place to get meds IF you know where to look. I live right off the 60/605 junction and I can get just about everything one would need.
Definitely you have a respritory infection going on.......you need meds in them ASAP.
Feed Stores you can get meds at PLUS needles/syringes:
You need to get aggressive with the meds....

Generation West / La Puente
Whittier Narrows Feeds / Whittier
Hope that helps.....if you want more info pls. PM me..OK?

Thank you! I knew there must be places but for once google was not my friend! I live in West Los Angeles and I tried feed stores out in Sunland and SFV etc etc and didn't find anything.

I ended up taking my chickens to a vet as I couldn't find the antibiotics and needed them ASAP. They seem a little bit better today so I am hopeful as the newly sick one was really bad yesterday. The vet said she would have died in a day or so if I hadn't of gotten her on antibiotics. He thinks its a bacterial infection which I gather means they won't be carriers like they would be with a virus.
I will check out the stores you recommended and stock up for the next chicken emergency.

Thanks again for your help!

OH that is wonderful! At least you have a avian vet, that is something I don't have out here....
Also, the feed stuffs for chickens are MUCH cheaper than your end of town.
At Whittier Narrows feeds you can purchase many items by the pound if you like [BOSS, flax seeds, millet etc..etc..] so you can mix your own. Generation West has more medications and Viviano [the owner] is a treasure trove of information.
Both places are with-in 3 miles of each other so going to both is not a problem....[price wise they are comperable]

Whittier sells Purina products /Generation does not. hope that helps......

Quote:

smile.png
Sounds like things are going well. Keeping my fingers crossed that they all pull threw.
fl.gif

So happy you didn't take the advice from Sager:)Silkies.

Quote:
X2

How cruel can you be to just abandon a domesticated animal in the wild? Either keep it and treat it (if it can be saved) or put it out of it's misery! Don't leave it to suffer in the wild and die a painful death of starvation or being killed by another animal!
somad.gif

So tonight the GLW still seems to be on the path to but I'm not so sure about my silkie. My houseguest vet gave him his medicine tonight and said he seemed really quiet. When I got home he was making very sad sounds and didn't want to settle down in the sick house he was just standing next to other bird who was nesting. He finally did but just seemed odd. His eye does look much better. No foam or gunk. so hopefully he is getting better.

Thanks for the support and I'll keep you posted on there recovery.

Quote:
X2

How cruel can you be to just abandon a domesticated animal in the wild? Either keep it and treat it (if it can be saved) or put it out of it's misery! Don't leave it to suffer in the wild and die a painful death of starvation or being killed by another animal!
somad.gif

X2
somad.gif
rant.gif

Last edited:
Believe it or not good old fashioned TLC works wonders with chickens......Sit down with a towel on yer lap and a box of tissues next to you and hold your "baby" , pet and make cooing sounds......and watch a good movie!
Try it, it is also good for the human soul...
big_smile.png

Thanks I'll try that. He seems better today BUT NOW the saga continues .... my bantam frizzle cochin is obviously sick and I think so is my bantam cochin (she didn't come out of the coop when I came down this morning.... lingered on the roost). The only one who seems okay is my Ameraucana... So the sick ward continues. Poor Ameraucana is the only one left in the coop.... I guess the coop could now be the sick ward
smile.png
I started treatment on the other 2 little ones.... I used the same dosage as was prescribed for my Silkie to start as I think he is the smallest... I'm going to try and get a scale to weigh the other ones tonight...

Quote:
barnie.gif
I was just thinking the same thing, not to mention the painful slow death it may have had all alone and scared! The last kind act you can show any animal in your care is to put it out of its suffering if you have no means to fix or cure. Very cruel indeed
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom