Silkie genetics question

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
This was my first time hatching with an incubator. I put three eggs in and three chicks hatched today!

The two brown chicks are from Molly, the Mille Fleur and Rufus. But my question is the little black chick… I thought I had grabbed one of Isabelle’s eggs. Could Isabelle and Rufus make a black chick or did I grab one of my black Silkies eggs by mistake?

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8761.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg

IMG_8762.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm guessing Isabelle is the white hen with black spots? If so, she could easily produce a black chick. Her coloring is called paint, and genetically paints are black with the inclusion of one dominant white gene which covers up much but not all of the black in paints and gives them their characteristic spotted coloring. Since there is only one dominant white gene for paints, it is only passed down to 50% of the chicks when crossed with birds that don't have either one or two dominant white genes. So what gets passed down is the gene for black, and so half of the chicks will be black. Later on when this chick feathers out it will likely get some red or gold coloring mixed in with the black

I'm guessing Isabelle is the white hen with black spots? If so, she could easily produce a black chick. Her coloring is called paint, and genetically paints are black with the inclusion of one dominant white gene which covers up much but not all of the black in paints and gives them their characteristic spotted coloring. Since there is only one dominant white gene for paints, it is only passed down to 50% of the chicks when crossed with birds that don't have either one or two dominant white genes. So what gets passed down is the gene for black, and so half of the chicks will be black. Later on when this chick feathers out it will likely get some red or gold coloring mixed in with the black
I see! That was a great explanation! Thank you! Yes, we are talking about the paint hen. Sooo does this also mean that Rufus does NOT have a white gene? He is from a red Silkie project. Also looking closer at the black chick, now that she is dry, she has some white feathers mixed in.

Updated pictures of the 3 babies. The black has turned cuckoo! Any chance any of these are sex-link? Any other thoughts on the results of Rufus/Mollie (Mille) and Rufus/Isabelle (paint)

IMG_9109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom