Silkie has nose problems. Help

pasuit

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Midwest City, OK
Have a silkie that has a problem off and on with mucus build up that completely closes what I would call her nasal passages. I usually clean it with Vaseline to soften it and clean it and also treat her with duramycin10 but you have to take her to the vet now for a prescription. It's a bacterial infection. She has had it twice and she is about a 1 1/2 years old. This time when I cleaned it there was a little blood. Is there a home remedy like an antibiotic and would you put something on her nose not blocking the opening? She doesn't have chest congestion. Would appreciate any suggestions.

have you looked into its mouth to see if its choanal slit is blocked?
upload_2018-1-20_11-53-52.jpeg

also how are its eyes looking?
what bedding are you using?
are any others showing symptoms?

Nostrils can become easily blocked if there is mucus or feed getting onto the nostril. Do you add water to your chicken feed, or perhap, feed your flock fermented feed? You can use hydrogen peroxide and QTips to try and soften any blockage, then dig it out with an orange stick or similar tool to try to scrape out the opening. Secretions plus food can become like concrete, so it might take a time or two to remove this.

I feed them dry crumbles and sometimes treats and corn. I've raised poultry for years and this hasn't happened except for this hen. I have her nose unblocked but it's always hard to do without hurting her. I use vet rx to soften the blockage. Thanks so much.I've not tried the orange sticks.

Back
Top Bottom