Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I ordered more eggs today! Hopefully this batch is better, I bought from a different person this time. They will arrive between Tuesday and Friday!

Can I join? I've done shipped eggs before but never off of eBay. But I found a really awesome silkie breeder on FB (Magnolia Silkies) and she was selling on eBay. So I paid on Friday and was just notified that the eggs shipped today. So they should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I spent too much on these eggs because its August and very risky to ship but I couldn't resist these eggs. I only have silkie chickens and am excited to expand my flock with new bloodlines.
OP, those pictures are crazy! Those eggs must have been sitting outside in the heat for days! Gross! Does the seller have good feedback? Sorry for your experience!

Sure! You're eggs will be arriving around the same time as mine!
big_smile.png

Yes there is a huge risk of buying eggs in the summer. I just experienced it. People will send you eggs that are days old just to make as much money as they can from their hens.

Also the seller I bought from had good feedback, but she was new and only sold 2 batches of eggs on ebay before, so they're not experienced at all. Maybe they thought that started eggs would live even through shipping (????) I don't know. Unexperienced people. They also didn't even pack in an egg carton so all the air cells were detatched because they were on their sides. Who does that??
barnie.gif

Of the eggs I got, there were 4 that didn't look like they had embryos inside when I candled them. Although they're air cells were completely detatched (usually those eggs never make it) I gave it a shot and put them in the incubator to see what happened.
I wasn't suprised when most of them turned out clear today, BUT ONE IS ALIVE!! I saw veins and a moving embryo!! I'm so glad I gave those eggs hope. At least one egg in all of the eggs I got was good! The air cell is still detatched in in, but I'm going to give it a chance.

I named it "Egg #?" because I was so unsure if it was even viable.

Cheers for "Egg #?"
celebrate.gif

I have some eggs that were shipped to me. Their airsacs are detached, but everyone has veins. Maybe both of us will have successful hatches!

As for my silkie egg, it is do to hatch today, but I was sure the heat light cooked it. However, we opened it up at the airsac, and it is moving! I wrapped it in a moist paper towel and set it in the incubator. Hopefully it will absorb its veins and be ready to hatch soon.

Of the eggs I got, there were 4 that didn't look like they had embryos inside when I candled them. Although they're air cells were completely detatched (usually those eggs never make it) I gave it a shot and put them in the incubator to see what happened. I wasn't suprised when most of them turned out clear today, BUT ONE IS ALIVE!! I saw veins and a moving embryo!! I'm so glad I gave those eggs hope. At least one egg in all of the eggs I got was good! The air cell is still detatched in in, but I'm going to give it a chance. I named it "Egg #?" because I was so unsure if it was even viable. Cheers for "Egg #?" :celebrate
Before I finished reading your whole post I was thinking "I hope they left them in the bator...just in case"! Congrats on that egg. Leave it upright in the carton. What day is it on? I have a great article for shipped eggs in my siggy. Give it a read!
I have some eggs that were shipped to me. Their airsacs are detached, but everyone has veins. Maybe both of us will have successful hatches! As for my silkie egg, it is do to hatch today, but I was sure the heat light cooked it. However, we opened it up at the airsac, and it is moving! I wrapped it in a moist paper towel and set it in the incubator. Hopefully it will absorb its veins and be ready to hatch soon.
Wow! Keep the humidity way up....like 80-85% on that egg. You can put a bandaid over the opened air cell. Cut off most of the sticky stuff. Leave just enough to get it to stick and cover the whole with the soft part. That can help to keep the membranes from drying out. Good luck!

Before I finished reading your whole post I was thinking "I hope they left them in the bator...just in case"! Congrats on that egg. Leave it upright in the carton. What day is it on? I have a great article for shipped eggs in my siggy. Give it a read!
Wow! Keep the humidity way up....like 80-85% on that egg. You can put a bandaid over the opened air cell. Cut off most of the sticky stuff. Leave just enough to get it to stick and cover the whole with the soft part. That can help to keep the membranes from drying out. Good luck!
I left it at a 45 degree angle like I always do with my shipped eggs. Today it's on day 6 and it's still alive! It's the only one that made it, I'm so glad I gave them a chance. There were only 4 eggs that weren't pre-incubated.

Back
Top Bottom