Silkie Hatch-A-Long

Yay!thought 4 out of 5 hatched but today there are 5 chicks. Cannot believe 5out of 5 for our very first hatch. So happy they are all eating and drinking, watching their mother and popping in and out from under her.

Yay!thought 4 out of 5 hatched but today there are 5 chicks. Cannot believe 5out of 5 for our very first hatch. So happy they are all eating and drinking, watching their mother and popping in and out from under her.
wooohoo!!! congrats!!! that is awesome.
thumbsup.gif
we are on lockdown now, day 19, I had 9 viable going on day 18 so am hopeful.... 2 white and 7 buff
love.gif

Hey everyone! I am back in the game! :)
My silkies/sizzles are laying eggs. Up until now, none have been fertile but I check a couple of days ago and I have two with blood vessels. (they are in the incubator)
I have a white silkie with two grey sizzles hens, one white and one splash silkie hen! This will be the first time I've hatched an egg from my chickens and not bought via the mail!
The splash was sitting on eggs for a week, I was worried because I never saw her eat. I finally candled them and none were developing. One had a blood ring though so I know that every now and then the rooster is on target!

Spring is here in KY... so more little chicks are sure to come!

KV Silkies, good luck with your lock down!!
ya.gif

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am back in the game! :)
My silkies/sizzles are laying eggs. Up until now, none have been fertile but I check a couple of days ago and I have two with blood vessels. (they are in the incubator)
I have a white silkie with two grey sizzles hens, one white and one splash silkie hen! This will be the first time I've hatched an egg from my chickens and not bought via the mail!
The splash was sitting on eggs for a week, I was worried because I never saw her eat. I finally candled them and none were developing. One had a blood ring though so I know that every now and then the rooster is on target!

Spring is here in KY... so more little chicks are sure to come!

KV Silkies, good luck with your lock down!!
ya.gif
thanks! and congrats on fertility of your flock! this is like opening up a whole new world of hatching joy!!! :) opportunities are endless now! and my addiction continues... I ordered more eggs... I have issues.... lol. my husband gave me the go ahead, so I blame him.... have some people that would like to get some from me so blame them also.
celebrate.gif
I have gone hatching mad...... will keep you posted on my 9 little eggs in the oven! tomorrow is hatch day!!!!!
jumpy.gif
and.... I just happen to have off of work again!!! woohoo! totally by chance, which is AWESOME!!!!!

thanks! and congrats on fertility of your flock! this is like opening up a whole new world of hatching joy!!! :) opportunities are endless now! and my addiction continues... I ordered more eggs... I have issues.... lol. my husband gave me the go ahead, so I blame him.... have some people that would like to get some from me so blame them also.
celebrate.gif
I have gone hatching mad...... will keep you posted on my 9 little eggs in the oven! tomorrow is hatch day!!!!!
jumpy.gif
and.... I just happen to have off of work again!!! woohoo! totally by chance, which is AWESOME!!!!!

Yes, awesome that you have the day off! I had a snow day on my hatch day! Actually had 3 snow days LOL
so I was able to be home too! Good luck!
yippiechickie.gif

Can't wait to see pictures!

Hows

aww so exciting good luck with them :how's the hatching going, anything yet? Our 5 chicks are now a week old and I think I'm addicted also:) now have four more that we're trying in an incubator :)

ok hatch day has come! we hatched 9 out of 9 ! woohoo!
wee.gif
first two pipped externally on day 20, and two actually hatched on day 20, it all happened pretty quick after that, I couldnt take anyone out as they just kept coming every few hours until 8 were out and one egg was left, it was one that had been second to pip, i knew cuz noticed when it pipped saw some blood and thought 'uh oh...." figured it hit a vein and since it didn't hatch for over 24 hours thought it might be a goner. so took all the fuzzy butts out, and put them in the brooder, put kids down for a nap and came back to check it, figuring it was dead, it peeped..... it had also pipped near the wrong end... so I ended up taking it out, looked pretty weak and scraggly, I let it fluff, and put it in with rest. this morning it's doing much better so I am hopeful! holy cats this is a long post.....
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom