Silkie hatching duck eggs

I haven't, but I'm tempted to try. I use my Muscovies for nearly everything and with very good results. They are the only way I hatched out ANY of my silky bantam ducks last year...and two Sebbies! I've been very tempted to get a silkie hen just as a back-up incubator!

big_smile.png

My teeny black silkie Beebers has been sitting on 4 eggs in the coop and the duck layed her egg next to her. I guess Beebers felt obligated and pushed that puppy under her
love.gif
She's a trooper but I took it anyways since the duck egg was almost 1/2 of her under side.

Do you mean the ducks go for a swim? I've yet to see my little Beebers doing the dog paddle.
wink.png

I think I've heard that somewhere too. After read your post I did think twice about putting an egg or two under her but then they are just so big compared to her. Maybe someone will get on and answer this for you.

C

I hope I didn't offend you I was just being silly. If they're Call Ducks then I would try a couple under her. Couldn't hurt to try. They really do get warm when they're sitting. I know when I lift Beebers up her underside is warm and a little moist.

yes a silkie chicken can and will hatch duck eggs mine has already done it once, last year and she has decided to sit on 5 this year so we are leaving her alone i do make sure there is a pan medium size like a metel round dog dish little deep with fresh water and once with food for her, they are growing well she is seperate from my other 7 chickens for now that are large so she is not bothered during this we have 4 by 5 small coop similiar to a small dog house that we cut out and put to wall vent on each side along with to doors one large cut out so i have access to clean and one small in to run to give her the room to roam out side if need and we can open vent also for air flow also a perch in case wanted she loves it and when done hatching goes right back out to other chickens with no issues these babies were kicking up a storm tonight when i checked useing my flash light on my cell phone it was awesome to see and my kids love the experience hope this helps i have never mostioned the eggs but we also have not had exstream hot weather but my understanding is the water in bowl will act as a humidifier for moister and other threads people have mentioned this as succesfull and we were last year so we will see what will be will be
hope this helps
:)

Back
Top Bottom