silkie hatching guinea

debbee1010

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
I have three guinea eggs being hatched by a silkie. One egge has been cracked for two days now but seems to be making no progress. This is my first time hatching guinea's and I know their shells are tough but should it take this long? Thank you!

what do you mean by "cracked". If you type in "pipping" you will see some threads with photos of what the egg should look like if the chick/keet is trying to hatch. Sometimes they die before they can actually fully hatch. Hope this helps you?

Sorry... learning the terms I need to know. By cracked I mean the chick has pecked a hole out and you can see the chick. I have raised dominic's and once they actually start pecking they are out much sooner than this guinea. I hope I am successful. Thank you.

Okay, I just checked the website, I then went to check the eggs again. They have pipped all the way through. They are cheeping so loudly, guess they really want out. How long should it take from here so I will know when to worry? Thank you.

I would open the egg up. BUT I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN HATCHING ANYTHING!

I just would
tongue.png

DO NOT OPEN THE EGG, not until you go up to the very top of this page and go into "learning center" and it will tell you when on only when to help the chick/keet hatch. You can kill them if you do it too soon, if you wait too long they will die. I read somewhere, to let them do it themselves to be sure you have the healthiest of chicks/keets but that is totally up to you. Please check out the learning center before going into something blind. ok?
hugs.gif

Good Good News!!! Had to finally help hatch the chicks and they are very healthy. Seem to be very strong and began pecking for food after one hour. Don't know what happened but they were very large chicks in a small egg. Thank everyone for your help. I have one more to go, wish me luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom