Silkie help & vaccines

Cookiebird

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2021
I have 4-7 month old silkies and one started limping so I put it away from the rest of my flock. The next day it was limping worse and one foot was sticking straight out and today it can only flap it’s wings. I’m heartbroken. I’ve added some vitamins to her water and made the food and water easy to access due to her not being able to walk. She looks bad and I’m afraid that she may not make it through the night. Any ideas on the problem? Feet are fine as far as looks go and no mites. She came from a clean place. And I keep everything nice and clean. Also what should I vaccinate my eggs with after hatching once my other pullets eventually start laying? To prevent sickness... is there any recommendations on what to vaccinate silkie chicks with to prevent illness? Thanks.

Attachments

• C1C89C2B-2377-443C-ACD5-8B793ECAD9EF.jpeg
    C1C89C2B-2377-443C-ACD5-8B793ECAD9EF.jpeg
    779.1 KB · Views: 8
I'll let the experts help with figuring out a diagnosis for you, but I just wanted to drop the helpful hint of offering her a mash of feed and water if she isn't taking in a lot of fluids or feed. It may make it easier and more encouraging for her while helping a little with her hydration. I wish I could suggest more, but that's all I've got besides some alarm bells for one particular disease that no one wants to hear, but I won't say the M word since it does share symptoms with other less severe outcomes. Best of luck with your girl!

I'll let the experts help with figuring out a diagnosis for you, but I just wanted to drop the helpful hint of offering her a mash of feed and water if she isn't taking in a lot of fluids or feed. It may make it easier and more encouraging for her while helping a little with her hydration. I wish I could suggest more, but that's all I've got besides some alarm bells for one particular disease that no one wants to hear, but I won't say the M word since it does share symptoms with other less severe outcomes. Best of luck with your girl!
Thank you ❤️

Back
Top Bottom