Silkie hen with green poop losing weight. What should I give her?

MelissaRose

R.I.P. Lissie
Apr 15, 2018
Maine
Hello,

I have a silkie hen who has green poop and some of it is sticking to her butt feathers. She's also losing weight and acting a little lethargic. I don't see any blood of red bits in her poop like you usually see with coccidiosis, so maybe its worms?

She's been acting slow for a while and I've been watching her, she seemed a lot better after I cut the feathers around her eyes, but then she started acting sick again. Her feathers are still short so that's not the problem.

She eats and drinks fine, I sometimes separate her from the others when I feed her so I know she actually gets food.

I have corid and safeguard, should I give her one of those in case its worms or coccidiosis?

I can get pictures if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

-MelissaRose

Green droppings can be from not eating. Hard to know if there are worms or coccidia without looking under a microscope with a fecal float from taking some fresh droppings to a vet. Probiotics are good to use. Worming or treating for coccidiosis is not harmful. She might have something else going on that is affecting her appetite, such as a reproductive or crop disorder.

Thanks for replying.

I could separate her and make sure she's eating enough and monitor her crop. I think it empties ok, and her breath doesn't smell sour or bad.

She's only 2 1/2 or 3, and she hasn't layed in about a year, so she could have reproductive issues. What would the signs and symptoms of that be?

I think I'll try separating her for a few days and making sure she eats enough, I'm pretty sure she does now but just in case, and if that doesn't help at all I'll give her some wormer or corid.

Back
Top Bottom