silkie hen with lump on neck

amsdy4

Chirping
Aug 6, 2014
hi guys, my 6 year old silkie hen has had a lump on the side of her neck for the last 3-4 months. i took her to the vet and they treated her with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, which seemed to help while she was on them. now the lump seems to be getting bigger, she isn’t as active and not eating/drinking as regularly. first photo shows location of lump on her body. in the second photo the crusty bit in the middle is like a scab (both times the vet removed the scab), but there is swelling above and below that. i have been doing flushing with betadine and saline almost daily. has anyone seen this in their chickens? thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5D5ACD14-5770-4D57-888E-B42041BF70B9.jpeg
    5D5ACD14-5770-4D57-888E-B42041BF70B9.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 65
  • AA1C8DC2-B24B-42D2-842B-13AA74D0FFB1.jpeg
    AA1C8DC2-B24B-42D2-842B-13AA74D0FFB1.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 27
in the second photo the crusty bit in the middle is like a scab (both times the vet removed the scab), but there is swelling above and below that
I'm not quite sure what to make of that. For the crusty area, a feather cyst sort of comes to mind, but that light pink tissue showing underneath...is the skin split?

Tagging in @Eggcessive and @coach723

1610460381398.png

It looks like an organ or tumor peeping under the cyst or wound. Did the vet ever get any pus out of the wound, or just blood when he removed the scab. I would see the vet today if possible, because it does look like the skin has split. Betadine is not good to use constantly. Something like Vetericyn Hydrogel Spray would be good since it works as a dressing to heal a wound. I think this could possibly be a tumor.
1610461304416.png

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. For the crusty area, a feather cyst sort of comes to mind, but that light pink tissue showing underneath...is the skin split?

Tagging in @Eggcessive and @coach723

View attachment 2486042

thanks for the response. i don’t think the skin is split but might be a fold because the swelling hangs over the skin but i’ll double check when i’m back from work later.

t
It looks like an organ or tumor peeping under the cyst or wound. Did the vet ever get any pus out of the wound, or just blood when he removed the scab. I would see the vet today if possible, because it does look like the skin has split. Betadine is not good to use constantly. Something like Vetericyn Hydrogel Spray would be good since it works as a dressing to heal a wound. I think this could possibly be a tumor.
View attachment 2486044

thanks for the response. no pus at all. this is a photo from November after the scab was taken off the first time.
1610492282231.jpeg

and the second time after the course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, 2 weeks later.
1610492352984.jpeg

If it were an ingrown feather cyst, I would think there would have been some solid pus underneath the scabs. Has it grown any since you first saw it? It is puzzling. Betadine, although handy if there is a dirty wound, can prevent wound healing if used repeatedly. I would use something less irritating, such as the Vetericyn hydrogel or some plain Neosporin.

If it were an ingrown feather cyst, I would think there would have been some solid pus underneath the scabs. Has it grown any since you first saw it? It is puzzling. Betadine, although handy if there is a dirty wound, can prevent wound healing if used repeatedly. I would use something less irritating, such as the Vetericyn hydrogel or some plain Neosporin.

it has definitely grown in the last week or so. the swelling feels hardish, not like it is fluid-filled. i’ll stop using betadine and just do saline until i can find the vetericyn or neosporin. thanks

Back
Top Bottom