Silkie mums & bubs

silkiemum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Hi havesome questions for you.

I have 2 white silkies who each have 2 bubs, I have them sectioned off from the rest at the moment ( still in seperated by some makeshift fencing) and was wondering how long to keep them sepreated?

The chicks are 1 1/2 weeks old. Will the mums protect the bubs? And how long will they stay with the mums for??? How long before they can all be in together?/

Thanks for your advice!!!

Hi, where are you from? Never heard of a bub before, but I gather it's a chick? The moms will protect the babies for usually 4-6 weeks, depending on the hen, before she begins to separate herself from them.

Sorry by bubs I do mean chicks, sorry. I am in australia, victoria in Seville.

So when we get to 4-6 weeks and the silkie mums are seperating themseves from the chicks can I let them in with the rest???

thanks you your assistance
smile.png

Usually, by then, mama has put the fear into the rest of the flock and they probably wont hurt the little ones. Plus, broody raised chicks do learn how to get out of the way pretty well. Just depends on how aggressive the rest of the flock is toward the babies.
Welcome to BYC! The only place outside the US I've ever thought I'd want to go is Australia.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom