Silkie not walking, NOT mareks......

Does she have any feeling in her leg or feet? Are they warm to touch ? Any swelling ?

I dealt with a situation with my silkie where she messed up her ligament or tendon (I forgot which one). We did a shot of steroids and she perked up. But the damage was irreversible and she passed. If her quality of life doesn’t improve , I suggest considering euthanasia.

Does she have any feeling in her leg or feet? Are they warm to touch ? Any swelling ?

I dealt with a situation with my silkie where she messed up her ligament or tendon (I forgot which one). We did a shot of steroids and she perked up. But the damage was irreversible and she passed. If her quality of life doesn’t improve , I suggest considering euthanasia.
No swelling, they are not super cold but not super warm. She does grab my fingers sometimes with her toes. I think that’s probably the direction we are heading 😩 just trying to see if we have any other options before we do 😞 it’s always the favorite dang it.

No swelling, they are not super cold but not super warm. She does grab my fingers sometimes with her toes. I think that’s probably the direction we are heading 😩 just trying to see if we have any other options before we do 😞 it’s always the favorite dang it.
I’m sorry! 🙁 I remember my vet saying that the leg feeling warm is good. Did you vet try a steroid or mention it as an option? I would say if it’s been going on a year, the probability is not great.

I’m sorry! 🙁 I remember my vet saying that the leg feeling warm is good. Did you vet try a steroid or mention it as an option? I would say if it’s been going on a year, the probability is not great.
They have not said anything about steroids. The vet kinda just said oh it’s mareks before having tests done and said to euthanize. It’s only been since December she hasn’t been able to walk so sort of a long time but not a year. I’m guessing it’s probably not reversible.

They have not said anything about steroids. The vet kinda just said oh it’s mareks before having tests done and said to euthanize. It’s only been since December she hasn’t been able to walk so sort of a long time but not a year. I’m guessing it’s probably not reversible.
My silkie is going through the same . Still eating and lively but the vet said euthanize and mareks. They thought it was heavy metal poisoning, so she’s on antibiotic and ibuprofen and a chelating agent. She’s feels everything in her feet just can’t walk. I didn’t even get a test for Maerks

My silkie is going through the same . Still eating and lively but the vet said euthanize and mareks. They thought it was heavy metal poisoning, so she’s on antibiotic and ibuprofen and a chelating agent. She’s feels everything in her feet just can’t walk. I didn’t even get a test for Maerks
Oh darn it :( sorry yours is doing thay. Our sweet girl passed away. We had a necropsy done and they said probably mareks. Although I had tested for mareks and it was negative so I’m actually wondering if it was avian leukosis instead. We have had quite a few weird losses this last year unfortunately.

Oh darn it :( sorry yours is doing thay. Our sweet girl passed away. We had a necropsy done and they said probably mareks. Although I had tested for mareks and it was negative so I’m actually wondering if it was avian leukosis instead. We have had quite a few weird losses this last year unfortunately.
I’m sorry to hear your girl passed :( how long did it take before she passed?? I don’t have the heart to put her down when she looks at me with those eyes. Winter is my 1st chicken silkie) ever and she lives indoors. I took her tennis tournament and changed her food and after that she had problems walking and when I put her back on chick food she went back to normal for a week playing chase with me. and declined again but she can feel everything and has a shake in one of her legs and really wants to walk. She loves to cuddle and is the sweetest thing ever. So after yours stop walking how long did it take for her to pass? Anything that you might have given her to prolong life?

Yes it was the RAL test. How accurate are those? I’m honestly shocked. I was so sure that’s what was going on and we pretty much had told the kids we were likely putting her down this week. Her quality of life is really where I struggle. It’s not fair for her. It’s been a slower process to put her down because she is my daughter’s (she saved and bought everything to start chickens and had been pretty crushed. So she’s needed time to process.) with the negative test I l now feel like is there something else I can do that I’m missing. Or have I exhausted all I can. I’ve done lots of b complex. I have done vitamin e. I have not tried st johns wort, not sure if that’s something I should try or not. If we put her down I think I will for sure send her in.
Did you ever get an answer for your silkie? I have one with the same condition.

Back
Top Bottom