URGENT!! 2 Year old RIR not able to walk

CoCovey

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
IMG_2382.jpeg

I walked into my chicken coop today to find this scene. My very young RIR Buffy was laying twitching on the ground. Bright eyes and very aware of what is going on, she is unable to walk and very light. I can feel her keel and can almost touch my fingers together through her chest. She had been acting a little off but nothing I hadn’t seen from hens about to go broody. Her droppings seem to be a Sulfur yellow colour if that can help identify the problem. All I am asking is for the answer to what is happening (Mareks??) and what if anything can I do. Any and all help and comments are appreciated

I'm sorry about your pullet.

Hard to know what's happening with her, she may be suffering from Marek's disease, but unless you lose her and have a necropsy, there's no way to confirm the disease.

Hopefully you have brought her in and attempted to work on giving her drops of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. Electrolytes or sugar water would be good to give.

It does look like she's having some neurological problems. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex would be good to give as well. A treat of egg along with her normal feed.

Have you noticed any of your feed getting moldy? What do you feed including treats?

They get their usual grain and pellets as well as any kitchen scraps that we know are safe for chickens. We do have a bit of a rat problem but I don’t think it’s that. I have given her some child safe pain killers and plenty of water. I’ll see what I can do but she is extremely thin which makes me think she has been suffering for a while. I feel very bad but as I mentioned ANY help, harsh/truthful or otherwise will be accepted. I haven’t added any new birds to my flock and have never experienced anything like this before

She’s not standing upright at all and she hasn’t pooped for a while. I have given her water and mushed up food and am hoping for the best

I had seen her excluding herself from the flock but I assumed she was going broody but apparently not

View attachment 3726961
I walked into my chicken coop today to find this scene. My very young RIR Buffy was laying twitching on the ground. Bright eyes and very aware of what is going on, she is unable to walk and very light. I can feel her keel and can almost touch my fingers together through her chest. She had been acting a little off but nothing I hadn’t seen from hens about to go broody. Her droppings seem to be a Sulfur yellow colour if that can help identify the problem. All I am asking is for the answer to what is happening (Mareks??) and what if anything can I do. Any and all help and comments are appreciated
Sometimes I'll find a young weak hen crumpled on the ground after she's been mounted by a rooster. But the hens were weak from a prior condition (salpingitis, for example).

She’s not standing upright at all and she hasn’t pooped for a while. I have given her water and mushed up food and am hoping for the best
When she stands, does her head droop, like a zombie?
You could try a 'wellness cocktail' - probiotics, Corid, oregano oil, organic apple cider vinegar, see if she starts eating again.

Back
Top Bottom