Silkie on laid ONE egg?!

ChickenMama6RIR

Free Ranging
7 Years

My silkie chicken laid one ONE(!) Perfect little egg on Tuesday. Well, now it's Saturday and no more eggs yet. Is this normal? If so, then when will she lay again? Thanks in advance! :)

Hi! For hens just starting to lay, this is totally normal. They are just settling into a routine, and you should expect some fluctuations, and some weird eggs. (One of my ameraucanas laid 5 shell-less eggs in a row as her first eggs!)
Congrats on your egg! :)
-M

Congrats on the first egg!
Silkies are not prolific layers as a breed - and a newly laying bird often takes weeks or longer to get all the moving parts of the reproductive tract running in good order, so what you have experienced is not a reason for concern --- she'll lay again when her body is ready. Provide fresh water at all times, a good balanced diet appropriate for a hen in production and her body will do the rest.

The laying actually depends on the amount of light that the birds receive each day- just like horses. When horses get a lot of light, they start shedding into their summer coat. If hens get a lot of light- a sign that spring is coming- they start laying more. We went from 1 egg every other day between 3 hens, to 2-3 eggs a day for the same 3 hens.
I hope you get another egg soon! :)

The laying actually depends on the amount of light that the birds receive each day- just like horses. When horses get a lot of light, they start shedding into their summer coat. If hens get a lot of light- a sign that spring is coming- they start laying more. We went from 1 egg every other day between 3 hens, to 2-3 eggs a day for the same 3 hens.
I hope you get another egg soon! :)

Daylight is *one* of many factors that effect the production of any particular hen

My Silkie pretty much lays every day, occasionally missing one but not often, though since she is brooding now she isn't making any more eggs... Which is honestly a good thing as I doubt she'd be able to fit anymore under her! Pretty much 3 days after we got her and her mate and brought them home, she started pumping out the eggs, first every 2 days before then settling on a daily production. Me and my dad pinched 6 of them for breakfast as she had 12, leaving her with 6 eggs in case she went broody... A week later she somehow got up to 14 eggs she decided to sit on!

I feed them a very diverse diet of Chicken Layers Pellets, Quail/Gamebird feed pellets, wild bird seed (Basically wheat and corn), some foreign finch feed (pretty much millet and grass seeds) and niger seeds. We also supply them a dish of grit that they can peck at whenever they wish in order to help them digest the food. They also get all sorts of treats, albet as sparingly as we can, such as bread/toast, dried mealworms and table scraps, and they also get let loose on the garden when the weather is nice to eat the grass and the pesky slugs and snails... My chickens are spoiled rotten.
tongue.png
A diverse diet leads to happy hens, which leads to more eggs.

I heard of someone who kept her hens laying through winter by adding some corn to their diets during winter, without any special lighting. My hen is 10 month old while the roo is 15 month old, so basically both are around a year old, which is probably why my hen settled in so well with the egg laying.

Back
Top Bottom