Silkie or not? Boy or girl?

DerbyChook

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
This little guy hatched with a batch of white and partridge silkie eggs I bought from a local farmer to put under my broody hen. He has the extra toe, but also has smooth feathers and is a bit larger than his siblings. Is he pure silkie, or did another poppa get into the coop? He hatched weekend of April 2nd, so he is almost four weeks old. Also, is it a he? I am thinking yes, due to the pretty tail feathers and slightly more masculine countenance, but I am (clearly) not very experienced about these things.

57565_dsc_0165.jpg

57565_dsc_0168.jpg

I'm guessing he's a mix. He has the same tail and feet as my younger silkies but their wings are far more scraggly (so far you've got the prettier bird
tongue.png
)

Here's hoping it is a hen. Can't keep roos in my city coop, and it will be hard to re-home if it is a mix or bad genes
sad.png
She is pretty, whatever she is. Pure white, smooth feathers and a saucy little tail. I am calling her Dove and hoping for the best
smile.png

I think it is a silkie mix too... I have one that I hatched out in Feb and it has the 5 toes (perfect spacing too), black skin, black legs, walnut comb but has feathers like yours. They are softer than a normal chickens feathers but still have the feather shafts.

I hatched mine on purpose from an silkie rooster and an EE hen (blue egg) to see what they would look like so I know mine is a mix. I don't have any pictures of mine yet.

As far as gender or yours goes? I am not sure. Silkies and silkie mixes are very difficult to sex. I suspect mine is a little roo but don't know for sure. He is now 10 weeks old and hasn't crowed yet.

Back
Top Bottom