Silkie Personalities and Funny Stories

backyardinosaur

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2016
Hey there!

I’ve got two 6-week old Silkie pullets, Darlene and Fancy, and it’s been so much fun hatching them out and watching them grow. They’re personalities are just beginning to show, and I get such a kick out of watching them. They’re my first chickens ever, and I’m learning that chickens in general have more personality than I ever would’ve thought!

I’ve read that silkies in particular are funny little birds, and I would love to hear your own funny Silkie stories if you have any to share! 😃

Here’s a pic of my girls!
14D1A7F7-C40B-4D56-AC5F-79255B70E373.jpeg

Thanks!!
Lauren

Take good care of those cuties.:love
My first chickens were also Silkies. That was over 20 years ago. Have been meaning to get one or two for some time now. Somehow other breeds just started arriving in my coop. :idunno I only keep chickens as pets,, and they live to their natural end. My oldest current hen is a RIR that will be 10 years old in April.
One drawback with Silkies,,,,,,,,, is they are a HAWK MAGNET. Polish hens,,, that I had a few of,,, also fall in that category. The Polish do not see danger approaching with their limited sight. (tunnel vision limited to narrow forward view)
Silkies I think are too tame to run away from danger.
Just ran across a posting that stated,,,,, Silkies are cold weather tolerant, Down to about -9°F. That did surprise me somewhat.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I had gotten my first silky Marilyn about 12 years ago. She lived to be 10 when a skunk ate her. When I first adopted her though, I went to a feed store about 6 hrs from my house, that had a selection of 80 different kinds of birds. She was maybe a week or two older then the really young baby chicks and I think nobody adopted her because she had a big poo stain on her white feathers. I told her I would adopt her and I did. She had a full life and raised many babies. She was not much of an egg layer though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom