Silkie pullet injured of mareks

Chicken Kate

Chirping
Feb 20, 2018
McLeansville North Carolina
I have a silkie about 2 or three months old. She started limping and looks worse. Then better now worse again. She has no eye issues, a runny nose, maybe labored breathing but that could also be fear or pain. Only one bad leg, she seems to use the wing of the bad leg only to balance but falls over. Neck out streched, eats and drinks .Not sure if the other wing has an issue or she just doesnt use it to help her stand. When i pick her up..both legs go down and she kicks. I dont know if this is mareks or an injured foot. None of my other birds seems. Sick.

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Sorry your gal is having trouble. :(

Could be Marek's.

How long has this been going on? What do you feed including treats and supplements? Is she staying with the flock? How has your weather been? How many birds in how much space? Is the neck stretched out all the time? Can you post a pic or video? How is the feces looking? Have you seen Marek's at your place before?

Hope she feels better. :fl

She has no eye issues, a runny nose, maybe labored breathing
one bad leg, she seems to use the wing of the bad leg only to balance but falls over
Neck out streched, eats and drinks

Can you post a video or some photos of her? (for video upload to youtube, then provide us a link).

Do I understand correctly that she is having difficulty breathing, along with a runny nose and outstretched neck - does she stretch her neck to breath?

What does her poop look like?
How long have you had her?

Is the crop emptying overnight?
Have you found any mold, fungus in the coop, run or feed? Does she free range - any chance that she's eaten anything toxic, moldy, dead or rotten?

Separate her so you can monitor her more closely. Collect some of her poop and get a fecal float if at all possible.

Hopefully with more info we can give you better suggestions.

She has been like this for a week now. Yes her neck is stretched out..thats new. She is still on medicated chick feed like the others. I have had her from 1 week old chick. The rest of my flock is fine....so far. She does stay with my flock, the weather is, warm, cold and warm again, now back to cold and wet. Rain all day today. She eats..but today, eh not so much. She looked this way about three days ago, i gave her some corid and she kicked back into gear...but still limping. Her foot seems to have no feeling. She doesnt have any of those bumps on her skin and her eyes are clear. Just has had a runny nose for almost a month. They are in a good sized coop, brand new. Its admitedly to small, so we bought a new one today. She also might have been hen pecked, but not sure there. Ill try to do a video.
And thank you, i am loving BYC

Can you post a video or some photos of her? (for video upload to youtube, then provide us a link).

Do I understand correctly that she is having difficulty breathing, along with a runny nose and outstretched neck - does she stretch her neck to breath?

What does her poop look like?
How long have you had her?

Is the crop emptying overnight?
Have you found any mold, fungus in the coop, run or feed? Does she free range - any chance that she's eaten anything toxic, moldy, dead or rotten?

Separate her so you can monitor her more closely. Collect some of her poop and get a fecal float if at all possible.

Hopefully with more info we can give you better suggestions.
I free ranged them for the first time yesterday, she limped around and then layed down while pecking at the dirt near the older birds coops. Then sje woule stand and limp.
All the food is in containers and all was bought yesterday. I also saw corn in their coops. My brahma girl brings them corn. Yes she has a runny nose, out reached neck, a little panting. Leg moves foot no. Her poop is normal. Yes the crop is emptying over night i think lol . Ill try to do a video .

She is still on medicated chick feed like the others
i gave her some corid and she kicked back into gear...but still limping. Her foot seems to have no feeling.
has had a runny nose for almost a month. They are in a good sized coop, brand new. Its admitedly to small,

2 or 3months old? She's been on medicated chick starter this whole time?

I would be inclined to put the whole flock on non medicated chick starter or even Flock Raiser. Provide poultry vitamins.

For the Silkie - I would offer some vitamins that contain B-2(Riboflavin) or crush 1/2tablet of human B-Complex vitamins and add it to her feed daily for a week.

I also saw corn in their coops. My brahma girl brings them corn.
I don't think I've every seen another chicken bring corn to another chicken - while your videoing, I'd like to see that too:)

She doesnt have any of those bumps on her skin and her eyes are clear.
fwiw - Marek's presents in so many ways, symptoms are not concrete. There are 4 "types" of Marek's. Cutaneous (skin form), Neural (nerve form), Ocular (eye form) and Visceral (internal/organ form). http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I’m thinking mites I would treat her for that first and if she seems to have no energy try giving her half water half Gatorade or powdade mix. If mite treatment doesn’t work try an all bug spray or medication.definitely not Markes if it was markes she would’ve already died

I wish you and your silkier the best of luck.

I just looked at her vent..there are brown small bugs crawling all over her vent and a little bit of dried brown poop on her feathers that i didn't see before. Maybe this is the cause

If you are seeing crawling bugs, it's most likely Poultry Lice. Treat her with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust, asap.

I would try to get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into her - 1cc per 3lbs of weight. Add the B-Vitamins as mentioned in my earlier post. Getting her hydrated is most important.
I would stop the medicated feed for her - over a 2-3month period she may be deficient in vitamins. Give her regular chick feed along with some chopped egg or beef liver.

I can't get the video to play completely through - we are having high winds here, so it's probably my internet. Anyway from what I can see, she is very ill. If you have vet care, that is always best.

I'm very sorry that she is not doing well. I hope taking care of the lice, getting her hydrated and eating, she will start to improve.

Thank you both very much. It was mites, but sadly i had no choice but to put her down. She also had an infection in that leg .I called my vet who told me that it was too late to save the leg (dang feather foots, love them but it hid the infection) she could have made it. She also would have been paralized. Putting her down was humane, but I am thankful that it was not mareks. You all are the best, i had no idea how to treat the mites (i was an idiot and forgot to ask my vet lol) now i know and now i know to give the rest vitamins. Thank you all so much for your help. This is why i love this page.

Back
Top Bottom