Silkie-Pullets or Roo's

SoleProvider

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 20, 2008
7-24-08025.jpg

7-24-08039.jpg

7-24-08041.jpg

The partridge is a pullet. The others are a little young to tell but I'm going to guess anyhow
smile.png
The white looks like a pullet and the blue may be a cockeral?
idunno.gif

Okay, so how can you folks tell that the first one is a pullet without being able to see straight into its face???? I have only been able to tell my two black silkies sexes since I have been able to see them straight on and see the breadth of the cockerel's comb and his wattles?

Please help me out here...

Susan

By the way, that is one B E A U T I F U L silkie....

Last edited:
With a Silkie at her age and with her distinct features it is easy. Here is what I see: The feathers in the crest are all uniform in length and create a perfect pom-pom. In males there are streamer feathers that vary in length and flip back towards the body. She has no sickle or hackle feathers. Her tail is just a big puffball. In males there are feathers that are harder at the base that arch up and then back down.

She is a very pretty non-bearded Partridge pullet.

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go back outside and look at my oldest black pair. They are still only about 3 1/2 months old, but I can at least tell that one is a cockerel and one is a pullet. Now I will watch for those other attributes.

Every little bit helps.

By the way, are bearded and non bearded both accepted standards, or is one preferred over the other?

I bought those partridge eggs from MotherGoose. I had a great hatch rate.
The Partridge pullet is a cutie and soo tame.

Back
Top Bottom