Attachments

• IMG_0901.png
    IMG_0901.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 78
Opinions welcomed.. pullet or roo
Back EE is about 9 1/2 weeks
Front EE is about 7 weeks
Back one, I think probably male.
I am basing that partly on the comb (rather big, and a rather bright shade of pink, for a chick of that age with that comb type)
And partly on the feathers (some feathers are a darker red than others, and those feathers are especially obvious in certain areas, like parts of the wings.) Redder feathers in patches are fairly common in males, and fairly rare in females. So they don't 100% prove it is a male, but they do point strongly in that direction.

Front one, I can't tell. I can't see the comb and wattles (usually the first place I would look on a chick of this age). The different shades of red in the body, especially the darker patches on the shoulder/wing area, make me suspect it might be male as well-- but I am really not sure, because that is less obvious than the first one. Since it is the younger one, a few more weeks might make a big difference in how obviously male or not-male it looks.

Back one, I think probably male.
I am basing that partly on the comb (rather big, and a rather bright shade of pink, for a chick of that age with that comb type)
And partly on the feathers (some feathers are a darker red than others, and those feathers are especially obvious in certain areas, like parts of the wings.) Redder feathers in patches are fairly common in males, and fairly rare in females. So they don't 100% prove it is a male, but they do point strongly in that direction.

Front one, I can't tell. I can't see the comb and wattles (usually the first place I would look on a chick of this age). The different shades of red in the body, especially the darker patches on the shoulder/wing area, make me suspect it might be male as well-- but I am really not sure, because that is less obvious than the first one. Since it is the younger one, a few more weeks might make a big difference in how obviously male or not-male it looks.
Thank you for your detailed response, everything I read online says EE are pretty hard to sex. But I was thinking the back one is leaning towards roo.. peacomb turned pretty red early. Was hoping for at least one pullet but that’s the name of the game.

1 Cockerel for sure, the one in front I would need a better body and head shot to be sure, but it also looks to be a Cockerel, but if you can get a couple more pics of the one in front, we can tell pretty easily at this age. Female and Male coloring will determine the gender.

1 Cockerel for sure, the one in front I would need a better body and head shot to be sure, but it also looks to be a Cockerel, but if you can get a couple more pics of the one in front, we can tell pretty easily at this age. Female and Male coloring will determine the gender.
Hopefully this helps.. Thank you for your response

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    688.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0907.jpeg
    IMG_0907.jpeg
    772.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 28
The one in back has big, chunky legs plus the large comb. No doubt he is a cockerel.

It would help to see a photo of the other one's comb/wattles. Judging by the difference in the thickness of its legs compared to the other, I think it is probably a pullet.

The one in back has big, chunky legs plus the large comb. No doubt he is a cockerel.

It would help to see a photo of the other one's comb/wattles. Judging by the difference in the thickness of its legs compared to the other, I think it is probably a pullet.
There are about 3 weeks apart in age. That another reason I’m having a harder time. I’ll post more pics. Appreciate the help 😊

Back
Top Bottom