Silkie roo lethargic, panting with watery diarrhea with green chunks in it.

Luckyt21

Songster
Apr 4, 2022
Pine River, Minnesota
I have a 7 month old silkie roo who has been sick since Monday so 3 days now. I have had him in the house since Monday evening. He is very quiet, with wings out, stands up once in awhile. Drinks ALOT & will eat little bits at a time. I also hand feed him bread pieces soaked in the water. His feed Neutrena all flock pellets). Diarrhea started out very runny with green particles in it & the white stuff. Last night he had more solid stools because I gave him steeped tea like someone recommended. After a few hours drinking the tea last night I switched him back to probiotic vitamin & electrolyte water. Then this morning started him on water with ACV. Today his stools went back to runny but mustardy colored. His butt is getting pretty poopy, but I’m scared to give him a wash for fear I’ll stress him more & he’ll die. I have a flock of 15 all the same age now since loosing 2 already to IDK what but similar cases. 1 of my other hens has been coughing, rattling & sometimes gaping. Seems to be triggered after dust bathing (she is on Baytril currently just in case). About 2 weeks ago I had the whole flock on Tylosin powder in the water because at that time I had 2 hens that appeared to be having respiratory issues. They have all been on vitamin water & or Oregapro supplement since. The flock has never been dewormed & did free range & dust bathed in our sandy soil before we got the snow. Now I have been keeping them in the coop/covered run.
The only other thing that my flock eats is TSC Dumore scratch grains every morning with mealworms. They like bread so they probably get that more than they should. Yesterday I gave them a head of kale & they’re still working on that. Sick Andre didn’t eat any.

Please help me determine what this is & what to do to help him. I just can’t bear to lose another feathered friend 🥲.

Should also mention that I have another hen who has had Bumblefoot for over a month now & I am treating her with Baytril & bandage changes after soaks.

Any help would be most welcome!

Images attached are oldest to newest.

Attachments

• 328D4A98-0C13-4CF9-BFE7-CDA98BC026CF.jpeg
    328D4A98-0C13-4CF9-BFE7-CDA98BC026CF.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 8336F92A-BC1E-45AB-8025-1C31EE4FE82F.jpeg
    8336F92A-BC1E-45AB-8025-1C31EE4FE82F.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 3
  • D6C67F39-B17D-41CC-BE13-CC685A520138.jpeg
    D6C67F39-B17D-41CC-BE13-CC685A520138.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 48F01B1B-7DA1-41A2-A884-20A418B63FD9.jpeg
    48F01B1B-7DA1-41A2-A884-20A418B63FD9.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 4
  • C62EA9D0-30D9-4A52-B836-ED7805650ADA.jpeg
    C62EA9D0-30D9-4A52-B836-ED7805650ADA.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 4
So sorry you have to deal with all this.
How full is his crop? Check it early in the morning before he eats or drinks anything and see if its empty.
Does your roo and hen have any bubbles in the eyes? Any swelling of the face? Runny nose?

So sorry you have to deal with all this.
How full is his crop? Check it early in the morning before he eats or drinks anything and see if its empty.
Does your roo and hen have any bubbles in the eyes? Any swelling of the face? Runny nose?
I have been massaging his crop multiple times a day because I don’t think it emptied yesterday/Monday evening. It felt a little mushy to me. What also worries me is the panting & heavy breathing. IDK if he’s stressed or hot from being in my house or if he’s got respiratory issues going on. I’m so sad for him. I stayed home from work yesterday & today to keep my eye on him.☹️ Nobody has discharge or bubbles coming from eyes, nose nor beak. I’m not sure what to give him to feel better.

I have been massaging his crop multiple times a day because I don’t think it emptied yesterday/Monday evening. It felt a little mushy to me. What also worries me is the panting & heavy breathing. IDK if he’s stressed or hot from being in my house or if he’s got respiratory issues going on. I’m so sad for him. I stayed home from work yesterday & today to keep my eye on him.☹️ Nobody has discharge or bubbles coming from eyes, nose nor beak. I’m not sure what to give him to feel better.
He could have sour crop, here's an article.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm not sure what's going on with the breathing so I'll tag the experts. I was thinking its something respiratory.
@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

7 month old silkie roo

quiet, with wings out, stands up once in awhile. Drinks ALOT & will eat little bits at a time. I also hand feed him bread pieces soaked in the water. His feed Neutrena all flock pellets). Diarrhea started out very runny with green particles in it & the white stuff.

1 of my other hens has been coughing, rattling & sometimes gaping. Seems to be triggered after dust bathing (she is on Baytril currently just in case). About 2 weeks ago I had the whole flock on Tylosin powder in the water because at that time I had 2 hens that appeared to be having respiratory issues. They have all been on vitamin water & or Oregapro supplement since.
Cut out the bread and treats and focus on him eating his normal All Flock Feed. Make grit (crushed granite) available free choice.

Drinking a lot of water and having a squishy crop, I'd address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Was he only Tylosin too? Did he have respiratory illness as well?

If possible, it would be a good idea to get a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis and worms are part of the issue.

Can he see well? He may need feathers trimmed from around his eyes.

Also no swelling in the face at all. Sounds a little congested but would respiratory cause diarrhea?

Cut out the bread and treats and focus on him eating his normal All Flock Feed. Make grit (crushed granite) available free choice.

Drinking a lot of water and having a squishy crop, I'd address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Was he only Tylosin too? Did he have respiratory illness as well?

If possible, it would be a good idea to get a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis and worms are part of the issue.

Can he see well? He may need feathers trimmed from around his eyes.
Ok I took away the bread & only have his feed & grit in with him now. He is NOT interested in the grit & has not been eating a normal amount of feed but is still eating.

I read the article on sour crop… before reading that I was massaging it down & the article says to massage upwards? Please confirm.

No he was not on Tylosin for respiratory problems. The whole flock had Tylosin powder in the water because of 2 hens that were coughing, gurgling & rattling. One is better & the other seems to get it back after dust-bathing & she loves to dust bathe!!!

I called my vet who is NOT an aviary vet & he told me to come pick up a pouch of Lincomycin/Spectomycin & give that to the whole flock. My husband is going to pick it up now but IDK if that is the right thing to use on everyone. What do you think?

He could see good as far as I knew, but I gave him a haircut anyways.

It seems like he is getting worse & I need help asap so I am starting to panic. He is off balance now & is laying down more than previously.

Please help, I hope you are still awake!!! I feel like he may not make it through another night. Do you think he is too hot in my house? I have our heat at a lower than normal 71 degrees. I took him outside in my arms a few times today & he stops panting. I have him in here so I can keep a close eye on him & clean up after his diarrhea poops.

For an Impacted Crop you would massage slightly upward, you're trying to get any material that is gumming up the crop to move toward the Proventriculus.

I'd mix the antibiotic according to your vet's instructions and syringe the medicated water into him several times a day if he's not drinking on his own.

1668655554447.png

I’m having the same problem with my rooster this last few days aswell! I thought sour crop at first but I inspected him and his messy vent and found some mites. Treating with DT. I don’t know if the mites are the main cause here for the crop to slow. My baby has lost weight and has balance issues too. He is standing more today though.

Back
Top Bottom