Silkie roo lethargic, panting with watery diarrhea with green chunks in it.

Luckyt21

Songster
Apr 4, 2022
Pine River, Minnesota
I have a 7 month old silkie roo who has been sick since Monday so 3 days now. I have had him in the house since Monday evening. He is very quiet, with wings out, stands up once in awhile. Drinks ALOT & will eat little bits at a time. I also hand feed him bread pieces soaked in the water. His feed Neutrena all flock pellets). Diarrhea started out very runny with green particles in it & the white stuff. Last night he had more solid stools because I gave him steeped tea like someone recommended. After a few hours drinking the tea last night I switched him back to probiotic vitamin & electrolyte water. Then this morning started him on water with ACV. Today his stools went back to runny but mustardy colored. His butt is getting pretty poopy, but I’m scared to give him a wash for fear I’ll stress him more & he’ll die. I have a flock of 15 all the same age now since loosing 2 already to IDK what but similar cases. 1 of my other hens has been coughing, rattling & sometimes gaping. Seems to be triggered after dust bathing (she is on Baytril currently just in case). About 2 weeks ago I had the whole flock on Tylosin powder in the water because at that time I had 2 hens that appeared to be having respiratory issues. They have all been on vitamin water & or Oregapro supplement since. The flock has never been dewormed & did free range & dust bathed in our sandy soil before we got the snow. Now I have been keeping them in the coop/covered run.
The only other thing that my flock eats is TSC Dumore scratch grains every morning with mealworms. They like bread so they probably get that more than they should. Yesterday I gave them a head of kale & they’re still working on that. Sick Andre didn’t eat any.

Please help me determine what this is & what to do to help him. I just can’t bear to lose another feathered friend 🥲.

Should also mention that I have another hen who has had Bumblefoot for over a month now & I am treating her with Baytril & bandage changes after soaks.

Any help would be most welcome!

Images attached are oldest to newest.

Attachments

• 328D4A98-0C13-4CF9-BFE7-CDA98BC026CF.jpeg
    328D4A98-0C13-4CF9-BFE7-CDA98BC026CF.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 8336F92A-BC1E-45AB-8025-1C31EE4FE82F.jpeg
    8336F92A-BC1E-45AB-8025-1C31EE4FE82F.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 3
  • D6C67F39-B17D-41CC-BE13-CC685A520138.jpeg
    D6C67F39-B17D-41CC-BE13-CC685A520138.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 48F01B1B-7DA1-41A2-A884-20A418B63FD9.jpeg
    48F01B1B-7DA1-41A2-A884-20A418B63FD9.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 4
  • C62EA9D0-30D9-4A52-B836-ED7805650ADA.jpeg
    C62EA9D0-30D9-4A52-B836-ED7805650ADA.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 4
Did he end up making it?…. My precious boy passed away Friday morning. He had lost too much weight from the molt and I didn’t catch his symptoms in time. I was thinking it was another underlying issue because he always was a bit strange, not mating as much and usually just content sitting around. He had almost the same symptoms as yours and was a male silkie.
I'm so sorry. :hugs
Oh NO 🥺 I am so sorry to hear that your precious boy passed on, this makes me very sad to hear & I cried for the both of you when reading this. It’s so undoubtedly tough to lose any animal. In the last 8 months I have lost 3 growing chickens & 2 baby chicks ☹️ they all were very tough to go through.
Do you think he lost his feathers from the mites? I watch lots of YouTube chicken videos as my new hobby & one I watched last night said that chickens loosing feathers is a sign of lice/mites & also them picking on each other. I wish the chicken world was easier.
I am happy to say my boy has really improved. He’s still in the house with us & doing much much better. He is still in the house with us & he crowed for us this morning. I think he is ready to rejoin his friends (hopefully they will still be friendly to him). I washed his butt & he is drying off before he goes out. I still don’t know what it was that was wrong with him. I have so much frustration with finding professionals to help with chicken health stuff. I think it should be mandatory that every vet should see chickens, especially with the rising popularity of chicken keeping. I have 1 with Bumblefoot & another one who has been coughing & breathing funny. She may be next to come in. I should start a journal for all the problems I have 🧐😟. I have 3 other silkie roosters in my flock of 15 mixed breeds, I wasn’t lucky enough to end up with a girl out of a total of 5 silkies. I hope you have been doing ok with the loss of your boy. What was his name? Mines name is Andre.
Glad he's improving!

I’m having the same problem with my rooster this last few days aswell! I thought sour crop at first but I inspected him and his messy vent and found some mites. Treating with DT. I don’t know if the mites are the main cause here for the crop to slow. My baby has lost weight and has balance issues too. He is standing more today though.

Did he end up making it?…. My precious boy passed away Friday morning. He had lost too much weight from the molt and I didn’t catch his symptoms in time. I was thinking it was another underlying issue because he always was a bit strange, not mating as much and usually just content sitting around. He had almost the same symptoms as yours and was a male silkie.

Oh NO 🥺 I am so sorry to hear that your precious boy passed on, this makes me very sad to hear & I cried for the both of you when reading this. It’s so undoubtedly tough to lose any animal. In the last 8 months I have lost 3 growing chickens & 2 baby chicks ☹️ they all were very tough to go through.
Do you think he lost his feathers from the mites? I watch lots of YouTube chicken videos as my new hobby & one I watched last night said that chickens loosing feathers is a sign of lice/mites & also them picking on each other. I wish the chicken world was easier.
I am happy to say my boy has really improved. He’s still in the house with us & doing much much better. He is still in the house with us & he crowed for us this morning. I think he is ready to rejoin his friends (hopefully they will still be friendly to him). I washed his butt & he is drying off before he goes out. I still don’t know what it was that was wrong with him. I have so much frustration with finding professionals to help with chicken health stuff. I think it should be mandatory that every vet should see chickens, especially with the rising popularity of chicken keeping. I have 1 with Bumblefoot & another one who has been coughing & breathing funny. She may be next to come in. I should start a journal for all the problems I have 🧐😟. I have 3 other silkie roosters in my flock of 15 mixed breeds, I wasn’t lucky enough to end up with a girl out of a total of 5 silkies. I hope you have been doing ok with the loss of your boy. What was his name? Mines name is Andre.

I would be super leery of MG (Mycoplasma gallisepticum) in your flock if the treatment the vet has given you has been working. Not only does it cause those symptoms, but it is highly contagious and the flock will be carriers for life. It can be tested for and is a fairly common problem amongst flocks, causing CRD (chronic respiratory disease). Unfortunately, it can be transmitted through eggs to the offspring, so it would be best to keep a closed flock and not give other people eggs to hatch or chicks if your flock tests positive for it. Chickens and eggs are safe to eat. Often there are no symptoms until chickens are stressed - e.g. the onset of winter with cold.

So sorry you have to deal with all this.
How full is his crop? Check it early in the morning before he eats or drinks anything and see if its empty.
Does your roo and hen have any bubbles in the eyes? Any swelling of the face? Runny nose?
I have been massaging his crop multiple times a day because I don’t think it emptied yesterday/Monday evening. It felt a little mushy to me. What also worries me is the panting & heavy breathing. IDK if he’s stressed or hot from being in my house or if he’s got respiratory issues going on. I’m so sad for him. I stayed home from work yesterday & today to keep my eye on him.☹️ Nobody has discharge or bubbles coming from eyes, nose nor beak. I’m not sure what to give him to feel better.

7 month old silkie roo

quiet, with wings out, stands up once in awhile. Drinks ALOT & will eat little bits at a time. I also hand feed him bread pieces soaked in the water. His feed Neutrena all flock pellets). Diarrhea started out very runny with green particles in it & the white stuff.

1 of my other hens has been coughing, rattling & sometimes gaping. Seems to be triggered after dust bathing (she is on Baytril currently just in case). About 2 weeks ago I had the whole flock on Tylosin powder in the water because at that time I had 2 hens that appeared to be having respiratory issues. They have all been on vitamin water & or Oregapro supplement since.
Cut out the bread and treats and focus on him eating his normal All Flock Feed. Make grit (crushed granite) available free choice.

Drinking a lot of water and having a squishy crop, I'd address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Was he only Tylosin too? Did he have respiratory illness as well?

If possible, it would be a good idea to get a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis and worms are part of the issue.

Can he see well? He may need feathers trimmed from around his eyes.

I have been massaging his crop multiple times a day because I don’t think it emptied yesterday/Monday evening. It felt a little mushy to me. What also worries me is the panting & heavy breathing. IDK if he’s stressed or hot from being in my house or if he’s got respiratory issues going on. I’m so sad for him. I stayed home from work yesterday & today to keep my eye on him.☹️ Nobody has discharge or bubbles coming from eyes, nose nor beak. I’m not sure what to give him to feel better.
Also no swelling in the face at all. Sounds a little congested but would respiratory cause diarrhea?

For an Impacted Crop you would massage slightly upward, you're trying to get any material that is gumming up the crop to move toward the Proventriculus.

I'd mix the antibiotic according to your vet's instructions and syringe the medicated water into him several times a day if he's not drinking on his own.

1668655554447.png

Back
Top Bottom