Silkie Roo or Pullet??

powersurbanfarm

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Fort Bragg, Ca
Hi All,
My name is Jen and I am new here. I live in a small town, right in the heart of downtown, where chicken keeping is not legal, but I have 6 little beauties anyway. I figured since my neighbor has 5 and the neighbor across the street has ducks, I was in fine company. I currently have a Buff Orpington, a RIR, a BR, a WC Black Polish, a Silver Cuckoo Marans, and a Black Silkie. They are all pullets, but I am confused by my Silkie (surprise, surprise!) They are all under 3 months, so still hard to tell with the silkie, but i was hoping some of you pros could help me tell if s/he is a pullet or a Roo. Here are some pics from this evening. Thank you all!!

Is the first picture a little distorted? The crest in that picture looks like it's really swept back, which is a good indication of a cockerel. However the crest looks fairly round in the other side on shots, which is characteristic of a pullet!

No the first pic is not distorted. The crest goes up and a little back. But the rest of it is a big puff ball and there are no streamers coming in on the back. S/He is a poor example of a silkie though I think because the feet feathers are VERY scraggly and hard. They have been like that and sparse since I got it at the local feed store. There is absolutely NO comb though, which makes me think pullet. It is a very confusing little chick. My friend said that I should change the name from Georgia to Hermie because the gender is so confusing.

Is the first picture a little distorted? The crest in that picture looks like it's really swept back, which is a good indication of a cockerel. However the crest looks fairly round in the other side on shots, which is characteristic of a pullet!
this does NOT hold true for hatchery silkies at all.

there is really no comb development at all the crest has no streamers. looks like a pullet so far

Back
Top Bottom