Silkie Roos Question

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hiya

After looking at silkie roo pics, I started to want one
I have 2 hens(silkies). Will one roo be fine? (I wont get a roo yet, maybe sometime in the winter I may).
Can you give me some genetics
if the roo is
Grey/
Black/
Buff

And my hens are
white

What will the offspring be?

Also do the roos crow loud? Compared to an OEGB. Or other breeds?

OH yeah

I know it sounds REALLY weird

How about a serama roo?
I know mating would be a bit... hard... lol

What would the outcome be?
hat percent will be seramas/silkies?

Thanks
smile.png

If your hens are white, you should get a white cock--anything else will give an unpredictable mish mash of colours.

In general, the larger the cock, the louder and lower the crow. OEGB are very shrill; large brahma have a mellow, deep loud voice. Silkies are in between medium pitch, medium volume.

SilkieXserama will give a bird qith a type and size in between that of a silkie and a serama. The offspring wiil likely have 10 toes, dark skin, walnut comb, beard & crest. Unless the serama carries the silkie gene, the offspring will not be silkie feathered

Ok so
White it is
I was really confused about the crows though
Many people said the silkie crow is like a chihuahua barking... or a yorkie barking- high pitched yet quiet.
Thanks!
smile.png

oh
lol
2 silkie people told me that
What dog would the loudness and pitch of a silkie relate to?
smile.png

Oh yeah
How nice are most silkie roos?
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being nicest

Last edited:
I have a JRT, and would say that Tess's barking and the roos crowing are equally annoying. I can't say that I've ever compared their pitch, though. Loudness, Tess is probably a bit louder, but not much.

cool.
That souldnt be TOO loud then
cool.png

Another genetics question

If the roo is bearded and the hens aren't what percent would be bearded?

They should all be partially bearded, as the gene is incompletely dominant. However, Mb is quite variable in expression, so you may get some who look to have nice full beards and others whose beards are quite scraggly.

Quote:
frow.gif
I wish I could predict which roos would be nice and which ones would be like the very devil, but I have not been able to figure that one out! You can't tell when they are little and then suddenly, BAM! they will just change on you. Or should I say, charge on you?
wink.png
They are a little bit like people, differrent temperaments, etc. I much prefer the easy going laid back type, but then again, the rowdy ones are sure doing a good job of protecting their girls...
hmm.png
I have several Silkie roos, both good natured and bad, I just walk softly and carry a BIG stick, or in my case, a nice long handled shovel!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom