Silkie rooster is "parenting"! Common?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suzpyoung, Jul 12, 2010.

1. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    I gave my broody Silkie hen 3 Ameraucana eggs to hatch, which she did successfully. I'm amazed though at how her mate, Shaq, is a full on participating father. He tries - although somewhat clumsily - to feed them. He's also very obviously trying to help Kandi teach them to climb up the ramp at bedtime. This evening one of them burrowed underneath him and he happily set! Is this unusual behavior for a roo?

2. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My silkie rooster is a better parent than ANY hen i have ever had. He parents any baby chick, not just from his flock.
    He is VERY mean to people, but he is still here because he is a great Daddy and protector. Isn't it so cute???? [​IMG]

3. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:Oh it's beyond cute! I just looked at your Myspace link - are any of the silkies pictured him?

4. slkhazen

slkhazen Hatching

Feb 15, 2010
    Story City Iowa
    my splash silkie hen went broody and we gave her some eggs. her and her hubby sleep in an old clean antique coal stove in the coop. When ever she would get off the eggs he would sit on them. Only one of the eggs hatched and he feeds the baby and will take the chick outside and watch over it just like a proud father. One day i grabbed the chick to look at it and he was outside he heard that chick cry out and he came running and ready to fight me. At night all three head to the tiny coal stove and sleep together. The Chick is almost 6 weeks old and they still watch over him. We call them our happy little family. (turns out the chick is a cornish/silkie cross and one of the ugliest chick i have ever seen. he really got the worse out of each parent)

5. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Oh it's beyond cute! I just looked at your Myspace link - are any of the silkies pictured him?

YES, the second pic down on the left. Blue Splash Silkie rooster [​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My Brahma boys actively protect any chicks when they go to feed at the feeder. I think that the protective rooster is more common than we think,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: