Silkie rooster with Mareks(I think)

Hennyhenhen

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2022
Indiana
I have a splash silkie roo that has one leg super stiff and limp toes. He flaps and flips around and is active during the day even eats and drinks a bunch, but sometimes gets stuck on his back with both legs in the air and can’t seem to get back on his feet without human help. Also his brothers and my other young roosters attempt to mate with him aggressively bc they’re learning and he can’t get away from them.

Is there anything I can do for him to survive and get better, does it sound like definitely mareks, and/or should I just cull him so he isn’t suffering?
He can’t get to the cuddle puddle at night so usually sleeps in the middle of the run by himself and I imagine he would freeze to death once it gets cold anyways, so I’m leaning towards culling.

Can you provide some photos of him?
A video of his actions may be helpful - upload to youtube and provide a link.

How Old he and what do you feed?

Sounds like he's with several roosters and cockerels and is being abused.

Separate him out and provide him with his own food/water. Look him over for lice/mites, bumblefoot and injuries. Make sure his crop is emptying overnight.

Get some vitamin into him. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg to help with the uptake of E.

Can you provide some photos of him?
A video of his actions may be helpful - upload to youtube and provide a link.

How Old he and what do you feed?

Sounds like he's with several roosters and cockerels and is being abused.

Separate him out and provide him with his own food/water. Look him over for lice/mites, bumblefoot and injuries. Make sure his crop is emptying overnight.

Get some vitamin into him. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg to help with the uptake of E.
He’s about 8 months old and they get 16% later feed mostly and then once a week get some high protein crumble and then treats like scrap veggies or blueberries. I have a silkie hen who has started the limp walk like he used to do as well before he got this bad.

I will try the separation and vitamins with them though and hope that works, will let you know how it goes!

If possible, give him the chick starter or all flock feed to see if the extra protein will help too.

Are all the other roosters/cockerels Silkie or different breeds?

If you have a Silkie hen that is starting to have some issues, watch to see if she's being bullied or over mated from the cockerels and roosters. She may be getting injured or is stressed and not eating well.

If possible, give him the chick starter or all flock feed to see if the extra protein will help too.

Are all the other roosters/cockerels Silkie or different breeds?

If you have a Silkie hen that is starting to have some issues, watch to see if she's being bullied or over mated from the cockerels and roosters. She may be getting injured or is stressed and not eating well.
Update: the silkie hen has passed away, but the silkie roo is still going strong. Hobbles around but still gets around the yard when we let him out with the other chickens and we make sure his brothers aren’t trying to mate with him. I’m amazed he’s outlived a few other chickens that have passed. I do have an Orpington with a droopy wing and what seems like a paralyzed leg now though.

I have a splash silkie roo that has one leg super stiff and limp toes. He flaps and flips around and is active during the day even eats and drinks a bunch, but sometimes gets stuck on his back with both legs in the air and can’t seem to get back on his feet without human help. Also his brothers and my other young roosters attempt to mate with him aggressively bc they’re learning and he can’t get away from them.

Is there anything I can do for him to survive and get better, does it sound like definitely mareks, and/or should I just cull him so he isn’t suffering?
He can’t get to the cuddle puddle at night so usually sleeps in the middle of the run by himself and I imagine he would freeze to death once it gets cold anyways, so I’m leaning towards culling.
My Russian orloff had this exact same problem. We gave her vitamin B12 and vitamin E two times a day for a week and she started to show signs of improvement. We continued this and she is slowly but surely making a recovery. I hope your silkie makes a full recovery ❤️‍🩹

My Russian orloff had this exact same problem. We gave her vitamin B12 and vitamin E two times a day for a week and she started to show signs of improvement. We continued this and she is slowly but surely making a recovery. I hope your silkie makes a full recovery ❤️‍🩹
How much vitamin b12 and E do you give ?

We gave her vitamin B12 and vitamin E two times a day for a week and she started to show signs of improvement.
I mixed a 1/3 ml of vitamin e liquid with one b12 tablet and syringe fed her that throughout the day. I probably did it in 3-4 different feeding times
You really want to give B-Complex which contains 8 of the B Vitamins including B1(Thiamine) which is used to treat neurological symptoms and it does have B12 which is Cobalamin.

B12 is NOT B-Complex.

Give at least 400IU Vitamin E daily along with some egg and the B-Complex. The egg will help with the uptake of E.

You really want to give B-Complex which contains 8 of the B Vitamins including B1(Thiamine) which is used to treat neurological symptoms and it does have B12 which is Cobalamin.

B12 is NOT B-Complex.

Give at least 400IU Vitamin E daily along with some egg and the B-Complex. The egg will help with the uptake of E.
Ahh I totally misspoke! I gave her B-complex

Back
Top Bottom