Silkie Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PhiberOptikx, Sep 18, 2015.

1. PhiberOptikx

PhiberOptikx Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    A few weeks ago it was decided that this was a hen. However, since then the comb has shown a lot of development. Still say hen? It is 23 weeks old and I know this isn't the best picture.
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A rooster would have crowed by now too. Maybe it is conflicted about it's gender. A pullets comb gets larger and redder when she is approaching point of lay. Does she squat if you touch her on her back - as she would for a rooster? Has he/she investigated the nesting boxes?

3. Farrier

Farrier Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't want to be a party pooper, but I had a 6 month old silkie roo who never crowed. The comb on this one looks male to me, but the crest looks female so I'll leave it to the experts

4. PhiberOptikx

Oct 3, 2014
    Hasn't crowed or laid or squated.

5. PhiberOptikx

Oct 3, 2014
    Where did all the experts go? Do you need a better picture or is it an oddball?

6. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Do you have a side body shot? That comb is huge, IMO. Judging by what I can see, if say cock.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I vote rooster from what I can see

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerel

9. PhiberOptikx

Oct 3, 2014
    Yeah, after seeing some other silkie roosters on here i have to agree. My wife will be very dissapointed

10. peepcluck

peepcluck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2014
    Southeast Texas
    I have 6 full time chickens and only two silkie. One of the silkies so far is turning out it might be a rooster because it keeps trying to ride the back of my regular chickens. This is kinda causing the peace to be disturbed in my backyard. I do not want him hr to be killed if I take her back to the person I bought her from she will be killed, even though I can trade him for a different chicken that might be a girl.....://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7326025/width/200/height/400[/IMG], not sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by