silkie roosters feet keep bleeding

lilybug524

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
my 1 year old silkie roosters feet keep bleeding. it looks like its coming from the feathers on his feet. the other chickens start peeking him and are just making it worse. I would like to not have to seperate him from his girls. what can i put on him to keep him from bleeding all the time? why would he be bleeding all the time? any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated

For now you NEED to separate him. Have you tried stopping the bleeding with cornstarch or flour? You can also get Styptic Powder from pet stores and put that on it. Once stopped - you'll want to either spray it with Blukote to disguise it - or you could wrap it with a little gauze then put vet wrap over that to hold it in place until it heals.

When I had that happen, it was a problem with him being on a wire bottom cage...his feathered feet were getting caught....I also clip the nails of my silkies because the combination of stiff feathers on their feet and extra toes does not always allow them to wear down naturally. Check to make sure that your bird can get good footing. I rinse mine with cold water for a few min and separate the bleeder for a bit.

I will try to post a pic tomorrow. Thank you for the replys.
he is on dirt in the run and in the coop its a wood floor with wood shavings. he is not a friendly rooster so treating it will be difficult but i will sure try. i will get styptic powder and blukote. if i use the blukote will i still have to wrap it as well? the least amount of time that i have to touch his feet the better. im the only one in the house brave enough to hold him so enlisting help will be interesting...lol

wrap him in a towel and put a sock over his head...that will calm him alot and maybe you can enlist some help! One good reason to wrap it is to try to prevent Bumblefoot - that's when staph gets in through a wound. Up to you! Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom