Silkie Sexing Project 2.0

Pics
image.jpg

My chart skills are 😬 Some of them are incredibly hard! Green group all girls now!

Bonus pics of my new temporary run extension and ladies! How’s everyone else’s evening?

F71C2E45-8F39-4ED8-9A85-ECF6591FD406.jpeg

692C98D3-6C30-4122-B7A7-57D657864193.jpeg

Aw, so cute! I'm good, though my sinuses are giving me the business. 😖

Took some pictures myself today. Behold, the only thing I find cuter than Silkies!

View attachment 2670325

Mainly because of their antics. They aren't supposed to be swimming in there...but they don't care. It was fun watching them make whirlpools.
SO CUTE!

I hope you're keeping track of which guesses are mine. At the end of this, you'll probably want to toss them out as 'the nut who had no clue what he was doing and is throwing off my project.' But, here they are anyway:

Red Group
Buff: F
White: M
Black: M
Blue: F
Splash: F

Pink Group
White: F
Blue: M

Orange Group

Green Group
Splash: M

Blue Group

This weeks guesses. :)

Red Group

Pink Group
Buff: M
Black: F

Orange Group

Green Group
Black: F

Blue Group

Skill builder Week 6. And I promise not to complain (much) if you guess boy.

View attachment 2666025
View attachment 2666030

I'm going to have to go with cockerel on this one too. That face has a pretty gentle girly expression though and some girls do have larger combs so you never know. :confused:

I hope you're keeping track of which guesses are mine. At the end of this, you'll probably want to toss them out as 'the nut who had no clue what he was doing and is throwing off my project.' But, here they are anyway:

Red Group

Pink Group

Orange Group

Green Group

Blue Group

I am in fact keeping tract of everyone's guesses, so that I can verify I didn't enter anything incorrectly and in case anyone wants to know how they did at the end. Don't worry, I'm sure you're going fine! I only look at that when entering the guesses though; I pull everything into a different spreadsheet to compare things from week to week.

My guesses for this week 🧐

RBf: female
RWt: female
RBk: male
RBu: female
RSp: male

PBf: male
PWt: female
PBk: male
PBu: female
PSp: male

OBf: female
OWt: female
OBk: female
OBu: female
OSp: female

GBf: male
GWt: female
GBk: female
GBu: female
GSp: male

BBf: female
BWt: male
BBk: male
BBu: male
BSp: male

Gina, any word on the DNA results? Did you send the hatched eggs / pull feathers / drops of blood? Which company did you use?

I'm starting to think that I might be best off to do DNA testing for mine. I think it'll be easier for the kids to know sooner if we have to get rid of anybody. Plus, I'd hate to have to scramble to get rid of a crowing rooster. I also have a 7-week old easter egger that I'd like confirmation that she's a pullet. So, I could do both at the same time.

@charlotte-and-the-bees which company did you use? Did you do feathers/blood?

The idea of getting blood out of them will be rough. I'm thinking feathers might be easier. But is it really?

Gina, any word on the DNA results? Did you send the hatched eggs / pull feathers / drops of blood? Which company did you use?

I'm starting to think that I might be best off to do DNA testing for mine. I think it'll be easier for the kids to know sooner if we have to get rid of anybody. Plus, I'd hate to have to scramble to get rid of a crowing rooster. I also have a 7-week old easter egger that I'd like confirmation that she's a pullet. So, I could do both at the same time.

The idea of getting blood out of them will be rough. I'm thinking feathers might be easier. But is it really?
I used IQbirdtesting and used blood. I just cut the nail a tad short and dabbed a couple of drops onto paper. Then dabbed with a clotting powder. It was really easy. I imagine easier than feathers since you have to get several!

Nooooooo 😭I think mine's being held in customs or is just going super slow since I used USPS as the company still hasn't received it. My plan is to wait until the 9 week weigh in and if they still haven't gotten it I'll redo it and send via FedEx as they apparently are much faster. I used Sexado de Aves, a company in Spain that does bulk pricing.

I used blood as well as it's more reliable (as in more DNA available per sample) than feathers. It wasn't really that hard at all. I just trimmed a nail to the quick, "milked" the toe to get a good few drops of blood, then thoroughly coated the toe in cornstarch as I didn't have any proper styptic powder (but it does the job). I couldn't use eggs cause I got these babies from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom