silkie sexing

Thought so, thanks for the confirmation. I really just wanted a rough idea as i plan to give a few to a member of family and he cant have cockrells due to living is a residential area so mainly was looking for a educated guess on the younger ones

Thought so, thanks for the confirmation. I really just wanted a rough idea as i plan to give a few to a member of family and he cant have cockrells due to living is a residential area so mainly was looking for a educated guess on the younger ones
I would watch their personalities. Some of my cockerels have been more "cocky" and/or friendly, sometimes they have larger/faster comb development.. Their stances can be different - pullets more "rounded" and cockerels a bit more upright. The last red one looks like it has a larger comb starting. Pullets tend to have more round crests and males a bit more swept back. You will notice "streamers" as they get older - indication of a cockerel.

Last edited:
Ok then thank you i shall keep an eye out for those, my last cockrell had the streamers which were very noticeable but thanks for the advice

I am really curious about my silkie. I have two adorable white silkies. They are about 21 weeks old. The one I thought was a roo has a mulberry comb and wattles. She is a hen and has laid 4 eggs now. So the other one has me really confused. I thought she was the hen and the other was the roo. Now I don't know what to think. They both seem to have the same feathering. The hen has the mulberry comb and wattles. The other is black comb. It has always been small. There is no crow or squat. What do you think? I had a Gold Laced Cochin Roo and a Black Silkie Roo that were very dominant that I just rehomed. I am curious to know if he is a she or just slower developing because of the two dominant roos I had. The comb on Tweety has always been so small that I was sure he/she was a hen but sometimes I just don't know. Any input is appreciated. :)

Meet Tweety? Hen or Roo?

Tweety. Hen or Roo?

Tweety. Hen or Roo?

I think gretyl is now a Klaus. Pretty sure he tried to crow this weekend, and appears to have hackle feathers. Comb is super dark and flat. Am I reading it right?

I am really curious about my silkie. I have two adorable white silkies. They are about 21 weeks old. The one I thought was a roo has a mulberry comb and wattles. She is a hen and has laid 4 eggs now. So the other one has me really confused. I thought she was the hen and the other was the roo. Now I don't know what to think. They both seem to have the same feathering. The hen has the mulberry comb and wattles. The other is black comb. It has always been small. There is no crow or squat. What do you think? I had a Gold Laced Cochin Roo and a Black Silkie Roo that were very dominant that I just rehomed. I am curious to know if he is a she or just slower developing because of the two dominant roos I had. The comb on Tweety has always been so small that I was sure he/she was a hen but sometimes I just don't know. Any input is appreciated. :) Bad pic of my hen, Snowflake! Meet Tweety? Hen or Roo? Tweety. Hen or Roo? Tweety. Hen or Roo?
I'm guessing pullet based on the crest but the comb is larger than pullets I've seen. If its not large in comparison to your cockerel then I would feel pretty confident saying pullet. :) I think it's the color more than size that leaves me wondering, but I'm still guessing pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom