silkie sexing

I have 4 chicks at 9-10 weeks old ( 2 whites, 1 splash, 1 sizzle) Could you help to identify if they are roo or hen?

Thanks a lot!

1) all 4

2) splash ( blue? )

3) Sizzle and white with gray crest

4)left is the white with gray crest, right is the white with purple crest

5) white with purple crest

6)white with gray crest

I have 4 chicks at 9-10 weeks old ( 2 whites, 1 splash, 1 sizzle) Could you help to identify if they are roo or hen?

Thanks a lot!

1) all 4

2) splash ( blue? )

3) Sizzle and white with gray crest

4)left is the white with gray crest, right is the white with purple crest

5) white with purple crest

6)white with gray crest

The blue looks like a rooster... I'll take it off your hands ;)
JK right now it looks like a hen!

4 to 5 week old. My only silkie of 12 chicks. He/she is more vocal when picked up and active. Any thought on sex?
kens.com/content/type/61/id/6720287/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about this one. We bought 6 silkie chicks from a feed store--so I would not be surprised if this one is actually a mix. One chick died before we knew it's gender. One was obviously a cockerel based upon behavior (hence named Boss). One always chattered softly and was pegged correctly as a pullet. Two I guessed to be girls too, but each developed a comb and a week or two later started to crow and acted more assertive (boss never allowed them to be aggressive since that was HIS job). The last is the smallest of the group--iit was so much smaller and "cuter" than the others that I suspected a bantam cross. My son was hoping for this one to be a rooster (hence named King) so he was delighted when King developed a comb in early December. However, it is almost February and King has not crowed nor developed any other male behaviors. Kings still chatters softly like the pullet and behaves like her (shows no interest in her and hasn't done a rooster dance). The pullet has been laying for three months now--and Ifor the past month I have been getting 10-12 eggs a week. So either she is an egg-laying machine or she's getting assistance from a female King. After the raccoon, we only have these two left and I don't want to traumatized them by separating them.... But can someone confirm if King is a boy or girl? We're stumped.

Here is King in May 2014;

The new comb in Dec 2014:

The comb Jan 2015:

I'm a little confused about this one. We bought 6 silkie chicks from a feed store--so I would not be surprised if this one is actually a mix. One chick died before we knew it's gender. One was obviously a cockerel based upon behavior (hence named Boss). One always chattered softly and was pegged correctly as a pullet. Two I guessed to be girls too, but each developed a comb and a week or two later started to crow and acted more assertive (boss never allowed them to be aggressive since that was HIS job). The last is the smallest of the group--iit was so much smaller and "cuter" than the others that I suspected a bantam cross. My son was hoping for this one to be a rooster (hence named King) so he was delighted when King developed a comb in early December. However, it is almost February and King has not crowed nor developed any other male behaviors. Kings still chatters softly like the pullet and behaves like her (shows no interest in her and hasn't done a rooster dance). The pullet has been laying for three months now--and Ifor the past month I have been getting 10-12 eggs a week. So either she is an egg-laying machine or she's getting assistance from a female King. After the raccoon, we only have these two left and I don't want to traumatized them by separating them.... But can someone confirm if King is a boy or girl? We're stumped.

Here is King in May 2014;

The new comb in Dec 2014:

The comb Jan 2015:

I think your king is a queen! And if you're getting 10-12 eggs a week with only 1 other layer that's proof enough ;)

Back
Top Bottom