Silkie/Showgirl bouffant hair dos hair things

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
Well, I have 2 Silkies & 1 Showgirl that have really huge fros, so much so that it inhibits their eyesight. Which would be ok, but I have 2 older Silkies with much better eye sight who get quite irritated if the white younger ones don't move.

I had been taking the cheap little hair ties and putting them in their hair. The two Showgirls hair stayed like this for about a week, but the Silkies kept coming out.

This morning I went out there and all three are blind as a bat again. So I put the hair things in their again and suddenly I see the Silkie back to normal and a Showgirl running with what she assumes is a worm (hair thing). I get the hair thing back and put it back in the Silkies hair and then watch as the Showgirl is pulling at the Silkies hair band and pulling it off her head, while the Silkie lets her!

I have tried white and I have tried colors. I like the colors because I can find them better on the sand floor when they get pulled off. However, the Showgirl doesn't seem to care what color it is now, she's on a mission to pull them out of their hair!

Edited to add: I don't really want to cut their hair as I plan to show them.

Any recommendations?

Here are the girls, so you can see my dilemma:
ShowgirlsMay24090331LRlogo.jpg

ShowgirlsMay24090359LRlogo.jpg

Last edited:
What about trying the little tiny clear rubberbands like dog groomers use or people with braces get from the orthodontist. I think they actually sell them in the hair dept at Wal-Mart. They come in colored or clear.

What about using a hair product that you could give them a little front height with - some of those products last for days.

Last edited:
I buy latex (I think?) hair bands for my daughters at the beauty supply. Like 200 for $1. They don't break or pull at the hair. They come in colors, white, black or clear. However, they are pretty tough to get out and we usually resort to scissors. Maybe this would work for you? Those silkies are cute, in a Dr. Suess kind of way - I can see why people get attached to them!

Back
Top Bottom