Silkie: Silver Partridge or Lavender?

Fur-N-Fowl

Fluffy Dinosaur Breeder
May 25, 2019
UK
Hello everyone :frow

I've been increasing my breeding/show flock of Bantam Silkies.

I knew I wanted a pure white and a lavender too but I also ended up getting a (brown) partridge as well...you know it's that Chicken math stuff.

I have all intentions of showing the white and (brown) partridge since they're accepted colours. I had no intentions of buying a lavender for showing purposes since they are not accepted. The lavender was just for fun to see what I get from crossing with my white Silkie Cockerel. I was hoping to get black at least.

Anyways, I picked my lavender one that I wanted. She's roughly almost 4 months old, younger than the others I bought. Already nice and poofy!

All of the breeders lavender Silkies are bred lavender x lavender and have been for multiple generations.

All the other lavenders in the pen were the lighter lavender colour but this little one caught my eye and I had to get her because I liked how she was darker than the others. She was also the smallest out of them all.

I'm now wondering if somehow lavender x lavender can produce silver partridge?

Or could she potentially lighten in colour as she gets older?

Or is she lavender with some sort of black leakage?

The images don't show it well but she has a lavender body just a darker head and neck.

What do you guys think her crossed with my pure white Cockerel will produce? Is there still a potential for black? Or maybe some fancy leakage going on in chicks?

Also, would you say she's bearded? I've never had bearded youngsters from that age but she appears to have a very fluffy chin already.

She's a lovely bird, already coming close to being a favourite! Regardless of what she is she will be staying, may even enter her into some fun poultry shows depending on how she develops.

Her leg/foot feathers were effected by recent local weather conditions. They will grow back and come in nice after a good wash.

Lastly, she needs a name! Suggestions are welcomed :D
Although, I was thinking of naming her Oogy!

IMG_9334.JPG

IMG_9335.JPG

IMG_9336.JPG

IMG_9343.JPG

I have just started getting into silkies, and got my first batch of mix colors from a not so local breeder. I can tell you she is absolutely beautiful! The lady I got mine from have me some frizzles, and I believe she said a sizzle. I can't wait till they get bigger!

Looks like she's blue, not lavender.

The only Blue that the breeder had was her own variety of blue splash that she was working on but each colours are kept separate.

She is lighter in person than on the photos, I'll have to try and get some better ones tomorrow.

Could lavenders x lavenders produce blue? Blues are still really nice so either way I'm happy!

I'm sure I was told a while back that lavenders were created from blue Silkies and that's it's just a lighter blue, but I'm not entirely sure, genetics isn't my strong point.

I have just started getting into silkies, and got my first batch of mix colors from a not so local breeder. I can tell you she is absolutely beautiful! The lady I got mine from have me some frizzles, and I believe she said a sizzle. I can't wait till they get bigger!

Aw thankyou! I'll have to see some photos of your Silkies sometime, they're all always so cute. Especially little 'sizzles' :lau I love that word!

What colours do you have currently?

Aw thankyou! I'll have to see some photos of your Silkies sometime, they're all always so cute. Especially little 'sizzles' :lau I love that word!

I have a blue, black, partrage, splash, grey I believe, black/white (with a cross beak)

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_204505819.jpg
    IMG_20190626_204505819.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20190626_204224626.jpg
    IMG_20190626_204224626.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20190626_204101001.jpg
    IMG_20190626_204101001.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190626_204010188.jpg
    IMG_20190626_204010188.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20190626_203936913.jpg
    IMG_20190626_203936913.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 19

Sorry forgot to ask how I tell which are frizzle and which are sizzle?

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_203925801.jpg
    IMG_20190626_203925801.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 19
Sorry forgot to ask how I tell which are frizzle and which are sizzle?

Aw so cute! :love

You have a nice range of colours there. How's your little cross beak doing?

I haven't experienced it myself but from what I've seen on here, they either do okay or they don't. It's great when you get one that can live a normal life!

As for the sizzle or frizzle, you may not be able to tell till they get more of the adult feathering.

From what I believe, sizzles retain the Silkie type feathering (hence the S instead of the F) whereas the frizzle is more of a hard feathered bird. Although I've seen some that have a mix of feathers so there isn't always a set rule for their name :)

Aw so cute! :love

You have a nice range of colours there. How's your little cross beak doing?

I haven't experienced it myself but from what I've seen on here, they either do okay or they don't. It's great when you get one that can live a normal life!

As for the sizzle or frizzle, you may not be able to tell till they get more of the adult feathering.

From what I believe, sizzles retain the Silkie type feathering (hence the S instead of the F) whereas the frizzle is more of a hard feathered bird. Although I've seen some that have a mix of feathers so there isn't always a set rule for their name :)
Thank you!! She (hoping) is doing great. Going to get her established with an aviary vet soon see if there is anything I need to do right now. My 5 yr old has them all hooked on mash so every morning she makes them some.
I know I was reading what one of them (frizzle/sizzle) was breed with to make the mix and the breeder has both breeds. Thanks for explaining. I'm hoping I did get a mix of them, they are adorable when they get full grown.

Thank you!! She (hoping) is doing great. Going to get her established with an aviary vet soon see if there is anything I need to do right now. My 5 yr old has them all hooked on mash so every morning she makes them some.
I know I was reading what one of them (frizzle/sizzle) was breed with to make the mix and the breeder has both breeds. Thanks for explaining. I'm hoping I did get a mix of them, they are adorable when they get full grown.

Aw well I'm glad she's doing alright so far! And I hope she does turn out to be a she too so fingers crossed :fl

I have no doubt that they are enjoying their mash breakfasts!

Back
Top Bottom