Silkie Thread! Talk about your Silkies and post pics of your Silkies

Ok so I have just started with silkies and have so many questions about them but first of all how do all of you get such fluffy clean birds I know about the buffs. but is that all it takes to get the fluff balls with beaks that I see? Do you have to groom them to do that? Also I have a white rooster with just one black spot on his back and some brown color on his wing feathers would you call him a splash or ....... just ugly!! LOL ( I'm not showing them but if it's something that could bring the breed down I could not breed him anymore) Also what colors can you get when you breed white to black will hey all come out gray, white, black?? Or can you get some throw back reds, blues etc. I'v now seen a lavender but it still looks like gray to me what makes a bird lavender????Wow did I ask enough? LOL As soon as I figure out how I will post a pick of my first silkie chick that was a surprise chick.

The trick to big, fluffy, cuddly silkies that make you go WOW!, is to find a good breeder. Hatchery chicks usually just don't cut it. Find someone local who has some awesome birds and buy some babies from them. Baths will make them clean and fluffy, but mine don't get a bath unless they are going to a show. The rest of the time they are running in their pen, a little dusty or dirty, but still big and fluffy none the less. There's lots of info on here about breeding silkies, just type it into the search and read away. You'll probably find more than you can read in one sitting. If you can't find any nice birds close to you, check out the auctions on here.

New Hatcher - lavender is in essence a self blue, meaning very muted, light and dusty looking...they are not actually lavender/purple colored. Someone with breeding experience will pop in here and can tell you how to get a lavender. Genetically, I know they can come from a black bird crossed with something else...

I am new to silkies myself and acquired 5 babies from wegotchickens in June. They were hatched on June 4th, June 7th and around June 18th. 4 are partride color and one little adorable one is from partridge parents and was solid black until recently when some of the dark gold appeared on the neck. It is almost like a Lt Brahma has the black markings on the neck...really cute. I will get pics uploaded next week when my laptop returns.

Pics of the original 3 at a few days old with the 2 Mille Fleur D'uccles from Lori also.

7630_silkiemilles2.jpg

the 3 silkies

7630_silkiescasca.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
White X anything else is unpredictable; every white could give completely different results if crossed to the same non-white.

Post a photo of your white with a black spot, and we'll help you figure out the variety, or whether it is just mixed colouring.

The colour names for animals are not necessarily a match for the crayon box. Lavender is an evenly distributed light bluish-grey hue, and is the result of a recessive gene that dilutes black pigment.

Back
Top Bottom