Silkie thread!

Quote:
I'm still hoping to get some feedback on this chick. Here's another photo at 10 weeks. Is there a chance it's a pullet even though it is acting like a roo?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/102351_cresty_10_wks.jpg

way too young. give it till about 16 or even 20 weeks before we can make a good guess. behavior means nothing at that age really with silkies - I have had some of the nastiest bullies be girls.

thumbsup.gif

Not some; virtually ALL.

Quote:
way too young. give it till about 16 or even 20 weeks before we can make a good guess. behavior means nothing at that age really with silkies - I have had some of the nastiest bullies be girls.

thumbsup.gif

Not some; virtually ALL.

Wow! I did not know this!
thumbsup.gif

Well I finally went and took some recent pics of my 4 silkies that I have out in their coop. The little blue 5 weeks old) is a boy for sure (acts very mucho and chest bumps everyone) and the white silkies are about 2-3 months old.

I have 8 chicks (3 weeks old) in the brooder....and 2 doz. coming Nov. 30 from CJ...
44332_img_7024.jpg

44332_img_7003.jpg

44332_img_7021.jpg

44332_img_7001.jpg

44332_img_7063.jpg

44332_img_7034.jpg

44332_img_6991.jpg

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Not some; virtually ALL.

Wow! I did not know this!
thumbsup.gif

I cannot say ALL, and I can only speak for my flock, but my boys are almost always sweeties. I did used to have a passel of rather mean buff cockerels--to stingy to share with the girls at feeding time. They are all gone now--result of their stinginess, poor boys.

I have a couple of 4 month old pullets that do the chest bump every day, pecking order? Yes, pretty sure they are pullets! Now, my question..tonight, putting all birds to bed, the one silly looking, dark blue cockerel mounted my little White pullet
ep.gif
. Sooo, I thought these guys didn't mature until 7-8 months old?? Oh yes, he did the drop wing dance, and mounted her, much to her dissaproval! These birds are just, as of this past weekend, 17 weeks old! Does this mean the pullets are also coming to POL?? Really, in my other breed (Marans), when the cockerels start to chase, I'm looking at eggs within 2 weeks! I have three cockerels in this bunch that have been crowing for several weeks now, but this really threw me off! Is he learning this behavior from the other Marans' roos?? They are seperated, but in the same run. Is this atypical behavior for Silkies this young?? None of the other Silkie cockerels seem to be "interested " yet, so what's with this hornball???
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom