Silkie thread!

oh wow! Okay, so trimming DID work! How much did you have to trim? Did you really have to hack off a lot of his fluff? He's our best looking bird and our 4-H project bird. I can't go cutting off all his fluff. He has shows to get to! hehe!!
cool.png
But then again.... I need eggs!! Sigh.

OH! and BTW-- BIG CONGRATS on your bullseye!!! YAY!!

I trimmed about a three inch area but I'm not getting ready for a show. Better to get info from a show person. I also trimmed his cheeks so he could see!
wink.png

Last edited:
I trimmed about a three inch area but I'm not getting ready for a show. Better to get info from a show person. I also trimmed his cheeks so he could see!
wink.png

Yeah, I might need to trim up around his eyes a bit so he can see. He is like a cotton ball. The hens aren't nearly as "bad". I think they can see pretty well. Okay, so a 3 inch area.. that is pretty big. Sigh. I think I'll go small and work my way out like you did and see. I'm sure if I clipped a bit right around the vent, it won't show.

Yeah, I might need to trim up around his eyes a bit so he can see. He is like a cotton ball. The hens aren't nearly as "bad". I think they can see pretty well. Okay, so a 3 inch area.. that is pretty big. Sigh. I think I'll go small and work my way out like you did and see. I'm sure if I clipped a bit right around the vent, it won't show.

Good idea. It only takes 24 hrs. to see if it helped.
big_smile.png

i have a question experts the hard feathering gene is it recessive or how dose it work cause in my one experiment program Colombian silkie/sizzle i hatched 5 chicks 3 have silkie feathering and 2 have hard feathering there all white except 1 which looks partridge colour which im guessing came from the partridge frizzle cochin

Good evening everyone
frow.gif

Thanks for the tip Hawkeye, I'll send her a mail, or lurk and watch for her. I really do appreciate someone closer, I'd rather drive than ship anyday!!

Its so cool that everyone is so open and comfy (as much as possible) with straitforward bio facts. Its cool to be real, and discuss real problems, and get real answers.

Way to go you COOL SILKIE LOVERS!!!

Bwahahaha!! Who knew!? Wow thank you! I sure hope I don't have to resort to that... but at least it looks pretty darned easy. And now I know what pipettes are, too! I've heard them mentioned before for incubators (getting water put in a tough place) Hmmm.. well I'll be trying the bath and a discrete "hair cut".
big_smile.png

OMG, you can find ANYTHING on youtube!! Cool, but ummm..... well, you know.
lol.png

i have a question experts the hard feathering gene is it recessive or how dose it work cause in my one experiment program Colombian silkie/sizzle i hatched 5 chicks 3 have silkie feathering and 2 have hard feathering there all white except 1 which looks partridge colour which im guessing came from the partridge frizzle cochin

First, hard feathering and silkie feathering are separate genes, not opposite alleles. The opposite of silkie feathering is typically referred to as normal feathering or non-silkie feathering. As examples of the differences, game breeds typically have hard feathering while cochins and brahmas typically have soft feathering.

Silkie feathering, which is what you are really asking about, is recessive. Since you had silkie feathered chicks, the sizzle parent carries one copy of the gene for silkie feathering.

Back
Top Bottom