Silkie thread!

Does anyone have any Silky eggs they would like to trade or sell for? I havn't checked out the buy, sell, trade section yet. Since I was hanging out in the Silky Pen, I thought I'd ask you peeps.

I was drooling over some on the auction section.
droolin.gif

Does anyone have any Silky eggs they would like to trade or sell for? I havn't checked out the buy, sell, trade section yet. Since I was hanging out in the Silky Pen, I thought I'd ask you peeps.

You're up north of me, right? Well, did you know you could probably drive over to ChooksChick and get silkies?? She has some pretty nice ones, too. :) I bet she'd sell you some eggs. She's on our Kansas thread too, but doesn't pop in there but every few days or so. Don't PM her-- her box is ALWAYS full, just email her. She is the "thread starter" on the kansas thread, so if you want to ask her about her silkies-- she has every color about, then just email her off her bio info. :)

ETA-- wanted to add that Chooks is working on Lavenders-- she got hers from Revolution Mama who has some really nice ones and is always working on her line and bringing in new 'blood'.

Last edited:
Question for all you successful breeders! :) My two silkie hens have been laying for about 4 weeks now. I set 10 eggs a week ago of theirs. I've SEEN my roo doing his job. I candled my eggs yesterday and I think every one of them are clear!!
sad.png

Okay, so a couple things I have noticed.. he does have a streak of poop down his rear that I didn't wash off-- too afraid to bathe him in winter. Also, he is REALLY fluffy. When I was trying to check his vent, it took me a while to sort thru his fluff to find it. There is poop back there stuck to his feathers. Sooo... could the poop be getting in the way of fertility? AND.. could he be TOO fluffy??
hmm.png
I was going to give him a bath today after I got home, but I got home too late and now I have to go pick up kids soon. So maybe tomorrow. Will this help?? Any other ideas why my eggs aren't fertile??

Question for all you successful breeders! :) My two silkie hens have been laying for about 4 weeks now. I set 10 eggs a week ago of theirs. I've SEEN my roo doing his job. I candled my eggs yesterday and I think every one of them are clear!!
sad.png

Okay, so a couple things I have noticed.. he does have a streak of poop down his rear that I didn't wash off-- too afraid to bathe him in winter. Also, he is REALLY fluffy. When I was trying to check his vent, it took me a while to sort thru his fluff to find it. There is poop back there stuck to his feathers. Sooo... could the poop be getting in the way of fertility? AND.. could he be TOO fluffy??
hmm.png
I was going to give him a bath today after I got home, but I got home too late and now I have to go pick up kids soon. So maybe tomorrow. Will this help?? Any other ideas why my eggs aren't fertile??

Trim around his vent, and check the girls they may need to be trimmed too. Yes they can be too fluffy. Also if they are really good quality birds with that super S shape, they may not be able to naturally reproduce. try trimming them up, wait a few days and pop a few eggs in to test fertility. If they still aren't fertile you may have to wait awhile on the roo (how old is he?) OR you may consider AI'ing.
sickbyc.gif

sad.png

hmm.png

Hawkeye, I just went through this exact senario! Weeks of non fertile eggs!
he.gif
We had even trimmed the roo! Then two days ago we got hold of him and trimmed thoroughly. And yes there was a big glob of dried poop! Today I got my first bulls-eye!!
wee.gif

Trim around his vent, and check the girls they may need to be trimmed too. Yes they can be too fluffy. Also if they are really good quality birds with that super S shape, they may not be able to naturally reproduce. try trimming them up, wait a few days and pop a few eggs in to test fertility. If they still aren't fertile you may have to wait awhile on the roo (how old is he?) OR you may consider AI'ing.
sickbyc.gif

He is about 8-9 months old now. I'd have to check. definitely not older than that... Could he still be too young? He is the kind that has the really short back, lots of fluff... Maybe he can't see either? I can't see his eyes. I have to separate out his crest to see him. Okay, but besides that... are you kidding?! AI!?!? LOL!! How the heck would I do that? He has to get a bath anyway, we have a show coming up. Should I be trimming around his vent with a show coming? Seriously though, even if I trimmed up his vent a bit, I don't think anyone would notice unless they turned him over to check. Will they turn him over to check?? The girls are pretty fluffy too. Sigh. Okay... please say he could still be too young! ha! BTW-- these are Amy Piehl's birds, --super fluffy.

Hawkeye, I just went through this exact senario! Weeks of non fertile eggs!
he.gif
We had even trimmed the roo! Then two days ago we got hold of him and trimmed thoroughly. And yes there was a big glob of dried poop! Today I got my first bulls-eye!!
wee.gif

oh wow! Okay, so trimming DID work! How much did you have to trim? Did you really have to hack off a lot of his fluff? He's our best looking bird and our 4-H project bird. I can't go cutting off all his fluff. He has shows to get to! hehe!!
cool.png
But then again.... I need eggs!! Sigh.

OH! and BTW-- BIG CONGRATS on your bullseye!!! YAY!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom