Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure why not Tina, when you arrange me B&B I stand for the rest. Even the opposite is possible when you come over here I arrange free stay and food (for 2 persons max).

2. SilverSilkie

Indeed Peepblessed these 2 have the lavender dilution (lav/lav),
    On the first one you can see the black-pigment is diluted to pearl-gray and you can see also it is not an unicolor lavender bird. With becoming older you well see the crest feathers will become intensiver graypearl colored.
    On the second one you can see the red-pigment is diluted to cream and also clear to see is not an unicolor lavender bird. Same here for the crest intensivity.
    These are both very subtile colored birds. When you like subtile tinges this are the one you need ;-) Wait until after there complete molting they will become sublime !

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

5. SilverSilkie

double posting ! See the 2 follwing posts in which the pictures comes from Henk's chickencolorcalculator.

6. SilverSilkie

On the outside (= phenotype) you can NOT see a difference between a chicken with zero doses lavender "Lav+/Lav+" (the first hen and rooster on the picture) or a single doses lavender "Lav+/lav" (the second hen and rooster on the picture). The effect is only visuble in a double doses "lav/lav" (the third hen and rooster on the picture).

7. SilverSilkie

This is what you should become when you cross 2 parents birds with a single doses of the Dominant gene Blue (Bl/bl+)

[​IMG]

As you can see the phenotypes of the chicks are different.

On Silkie feathers the phenotypes of the first hen and rooster of this picture can be confused with the phenotypes of the third hen and rooster of the previous picture !

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I never bathe or groom mine and they always look perfect (unless they've been eating watermelon,etc. ) but my silkies are exposed to mud.

9. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

That is odd.... I live in the mountains and it gets down to 10 degrees and my silkies do fine. I do keep them out of the rain and snow though. :)

10. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Peep. how do you keep their feet clean??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by