Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Yep, I am much more concerned about heat than cold and we are in the PA mountains so it gets COLD here!

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

The lighter one does have some cream color but the flash washes it out. Oddly they were both pale buff chipmonks at birth. I am guessing the buff will reappear with change of feathering especially since it is a male.

3. peepblessed

Awesome! I'm saving this!!

4. peepblessed

I have them on coarse sand which keeps their feet feathering looking good on the top. Now underneath is not perfect but it doesn't build up.

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

6. TheIvoryKitty

TheIvoryKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Central California
    Really? Wow I live in California so it barely gets hot or cold here, and when its chilly at all my little Choco goes around chit-chattering and huddles up like shes freezing.

Must just be immensely spoiled. :)

7. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

The real "Porcelain" is an other word for the millefiori pattern, in genetics "eb/eb s+/s+ *s+/- Co/Co mo/mo" as you can see it not contain lavender (lav/lav) nor Splash (Bl/Bl).

Started from Silkies Buff with double doses lavender are (wrongly) named in US the "Porcelain", they have complete different genotypes.
    - eWh/eWh s+/s+ * s+/- Co/Co Db/Db Mh/Mh Di/DI + lav/lav
    - eWh/eb s+/s+ * s+/- Co/Co Db/Db Mh/Mh Di/DI + lav/lav
    - eb/eb s+/s+ * s+/- Co/Co Db/Db Mh/Mh Di/DI + lav/lav

When you breed male birds X female bird with these genotypes they breed true, if not you have to count with the % as I described before.
    So in the name is what you want to call them, in the genetic-code is what you need to breed them.

8. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

This is only practicing the color-genetics ;-)

9. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

10. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    My wyandottes follow my silkies around which is funny because they are so much bigger then the silkies. They also huddle in the "fluff pile" with the silkies instead of perching at night. I think its hilarious. So to answer you question yes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by