Silkie thread!

love.gif

You're in the right place! Personally, I don't keep my Silkies with my larger breed. Mainly because of the size difference, and a large fowl roo could literally crush one of my Silkie hens, that and the fact my Silkie girls have vaulted skulls, and the big boys love to peck the combs and heads of the big girls. This could kill or brain damage a Silkie. Secondly, I don't want my Silkie roos breeding my Marans hens! Just because they are smaller, doesn't mean they can't find a way to do the deed! They also like to fence fight with my Marans roos, so being 3 times their size, I just don't want to chance any of them getting hurt. I know others let their's run together, I just don't.

That makes a lot of sense. Would it be okay, though if the Silkies were kept separate until they were old enough to tell hen from roo? I wouldn't be keeping any roos, since I can't have them anyway.

So, would the fighting still be a problem among hens? Provided the Silkies were separated until I knew they were hens?

Thank you so much!

Hi, I haven't posted in a while and I wanted to share some baby pics and the mystery chick.

Blue baby

Two blues and a white

Sizzle baby. I didn't think that my Blue Sizzle hen was old enough to lay. So, She as residing in the White pen with a White Silkie Roo and a White ShowGirl Roo!!! I have ended up with some SG Sizzles also. Who knew?

She has a fantastic crest. I really like her. But I can't figure out her color. Maybe a genetics guru can help me?

By the way, I NEVER get to post here because i;m ALWAYS 20 pages behind.
lau.gif
Keep it up I love to read about the genetic make up of Silkie colors.
OMGosh!! Your sizzle baby is soooo cute!! It just made me chuckle. Your silkie babies are very nice too! That is an interesting color. I would guess blue partridge only I don't see any barring or pencilling. I'll be interested to hear what everyone thinks!

That makes a lot of sense. Would it be okay, though if the Silkies were kept separate until they were old enough to tell hen from roo? I wouldn't be keeping any roos, since I can't have them anyway.

So, would the fighting still be a problem among hens? Provided the Silkies were separated until I knew they were hens?

Thank you so much!

Many people keep large fowl and silkie together successfully. I had hatchery silkies with my EE's with roos in both groups, but as previously mentioned, the silkies with vaulted skulls are definitely at risk.

OMGosh!! Your sizzle baby is soooo cute!! It just made me chuckle. Your silkie babies are very nice too! That is an interesting color. I would guess blue partridge only I don't see any barring or pencilling. I'll be interested to hear what everyone thinks!

I looked a little closer and I do believe you have partridge markings, so I would say you likely have a blue partridge. :)

Hi, I haven't posted in a while and I wanted to share some baby pics and the mystery chick.

Blue baby

Two blues and a white

Sizzle baby. I didn't think that my Blue Sizzle hen was old enough to lay. So, She as residing in the White pen with a White Silkie Roo and a White ShowGirl Roo!!! I have ended up with some SG Sizzles also. Who knew?

She has a fantastic crest. I really like her. But I can't figure out her color. Maybe a genetics guru can help me?

By the way, I NEVER get to post here because i;m ALWAYS 20 pages behind.
lau.gif
Keep it up I love to read about the genetic make up of Silkie colors.
I have a have a roo that i have no idea his coloring. LOL i crossed a WHITE frizzled cochin with a BLACK silkie and you should see the 3 chicks i hatched out. None of the three are solid white or black. LOL
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom