Silkie thread!

So..one of the chicks (they're 3 weeks now) has taken to walking in circles sometimes. It's like it can't stop itself, and it takes a while for it to walk in a straight line again. I'm thinking that this is a neurological thing, do you guys think is is correctable with vitamins?
I believe this is a sign of mild wry neck. I had a chick with obvious wry neck that went in circles when it was going through recovery. It made a full recovery.

I also had a juvenille that did this (3 months old) and I reallized it's feathers on one side was blocking vision. Instant correction upon trimming. But not likely your problem.

Last edited:
This is Icelynn's new pad
lol.png
She really likes it!

Awww. She looks very comfy in her new digs.

Dumpling is laying!
wee.gif

I checked vents on Bonney and little crippled sweetie Dumpling and they both squatted in the 'position' for me as soon as I reached in the pen for them. Dumplings vent is softer and a bit larger than Bonney's. I trimmed the bottoms of both pullets and then Fluffy Dragon. I put him in with them this morning. They are an official breeding trio! I just went out to the barn to check on them. I walked in just in time to see Dumpling lay her egg! Happy day!

They are very small for first eggs but a good shape.

Dumpling is laying!
wee.gif

I checked vents on Bonney and little crippled sweetie Dumpling and they both squatted in the 'position' for me as soon as I reached in the pen for them. Dumplings vent is softer and a bit larger than Bonney's. I trimmed the bottoms of both pullets and then Fluffy Dragon. I put him in with them this morning. They are an official breeding trio! I just went out to the barn to check on them. I walked in just in time to see Dumpling lay her egg! Happy day!

They are very small for first eggs but a good shape.
Go Dumpling! You have made them so happy!

8 chicks from the assorted bantam bin at TSC makes one very happy Silkie momma! I wasn't sure how she'd react to them (1st time mom), but I gave them to her in broad daylight. When she heard that peeping box she jumped off the eggs she was sitting on and started clucking up a storm. She positioned herself right next to the food and water, and as I sat each baby in front of her she tried to roll them under like eggs :gig I've been checking everyone often, and she softly "talking" to them and picking up little tid bits she finds in the shavings :love Thank goodness, I've been trying to break her for weeks! Now she can be a mom and put some meat back on her bones!
Nikki

8 chicks from the assorted bantam bin at TSC makes one very happy Silkie momma! I wasn't sure how she'd react to them (1st time mom), but I gave them to her in broad daylight. When she heard that peeping box she jumped off the eggs she was sitting on and started clucking up a storm. She positioned herself right next to the food and water, and as I sat each baby in front of her she tried to roll them under like eggs
gig.gif
I've been checking everyone often, and she softly "talking" to them and picking up little tid bits she finds in the shavings
love.gif
Thank goodness, I've been trying to break her for weeks! Now she can be a mom and put some meat back on her bones!
Nikki
That is so sweet!

8 chicks from the assorted bantam bin at TSC makes one very happy Silkie momma! I wasn't sure how she'd react to them (1st time mom), but I gave them to her in broad daylight. When she heard that peeping box she jumped off the eggs she was sitting on and started clucking up a storm. She positioned herself right next to the food and water, and as I sat each baby in front of her she tried to roll them under like eggs
gig.gif
I've been checking everyone often, and she softly "talking" to them and picking up little tid bits she finds in the shavings
love.gif
Thank goodness, I've been trying to break her for weeks! Now she can be a mom and put some meat back on her bones!
Nikki
Oh, that's great! Is she all done with the eggs she was sitting on?
I hatched some eggs last year...well the girls did. lol I had 3 hens sitting on a bunch of eggs and my little blue girl, Lila, only was allowed to have 2.
hmm.png
The other two hens hogged everything else. Well, the two of them hatched 8 chicks and they were done with whatever eggs were left. I put those in the incubator. Whatever eggs Lila hatched, her babies were stolen by the other two hens. Such bad girls!
When the eggs in the incubator hatched, I gave those chicks to Lila and separated them from the other hens. She was sooooooo happy with the 3 babies I gave her!
lol.png
And that was Lila's first time being a mom also. I love seeing when the animals natural instincts kick in!
big_smile.png

Good luck with the babies! Do you know what kind they are?

Back
Top Bottom