Silkie thread!

The boys are so good with the littles. Owl is sleeping in the same box as the 7 week old babies - and sometimes I find one or two under him. The Hens kicked them to the curb weeks ago...

Is that a White Crested Black Polish? Its funny, when I first saw the picture I thought the black bird had gotten some of Snowman's feathers stuck to its head
lau.gif
Yeah Snow and Ice adopted this little baby, and yes she is a white crested black
big_smile.png
Got her for free.
Aww that polish looks so small compared to snowman.
Haha I know right! and he's tiny to begin with! Marie is only 4 weeks old.

Quote: The 2005 Bantam Standard lists splash as a recognized variety in Old English, Rosecomb, Silkie & Wyandotte. The 2011 does not have a conolidated recognized breed/variety list, so I'd have to go through the whole book to see what has been added. The 2011 edition lists splash wheaten as an inactive variety, but does not specify the breed. Note that these are all bantam breeds; You would have to check the APA standard for largefowl. Bantam marans is inactive.

Anytime you breed blues, you will get a percentage of splash. It is the nature of the gene. However, it is not recognized in all breeds that recognize blue (IMO, when/if blue is recognized, splash should be as well, but that isn't how ABA or APA do it).

Now, when breeding blue to blue and getting some splash, how does the splash get washed out in some bloodlines? I have 3 splash and 1 blue that I hatched out from some eggs I bought, but the splash's just look grey. there isn't much splashing going on LOL

what makes that happen?

Now, when breeding blue to blue and getting some splash, how does the splash get washed out in some bloodlines?  I have 3 splash and 1 blue that I hatched out from some eggs I bought, but the splash's just look grey. there isn't much splashing going on LOL

what makes that happen?

Splash bred to splash can cause that washed out look.

I have a white silkie hen and a buff silkie rooster and the hen had a clutch of eggs this past spring and they are a little older now and there momma hen went broody again but anyway the 3 that hatched there is a white silkie and a buff silkie but then theres a silkie that looks just like a partridge silkie but can that happen from a white and buff??? I thought it was weird

Splash bred to splash can cause that washed out look.

I'm glad I found this while reading through the forum. I've got a little roo who's lavender in color with medium grey streaks on him. I was wondering if he was a splash because he's so light in comparison to the splash pullet I have. Even if he is a washed out splash, he's a beautiful bird. I love how silvery he is.

It's a happy day here in New Orleans. I got my first ever egg!!!
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

It's from my blue hen and black roo. At least I think the black roo is the daddy. I also have a pair of cuckoo Polish and I saw that roo with my Silkie hen a couple days ago.
Anyway, here are some pictures for you.

Isn't it pretty for a 1st egg?
big_smile.png

Here's mom - Stormey

and dad - Elvis (from Bobbi Porto's Nitro)

So here's a question I have. What do you do with your first egg? Do you try to hatch it or eat it? I'm not sure she's broody yet. I have the egg sitting in the house at room temp for now.

Back
Top Bottom