Silkie thread!

I heard about those other barn fires also. I use a drop cord for my incubator and so paranoid about it now. My husband checked it with his multimeter yesterday to make sure it wasn't pulling to much.
So glad that it made you think twice :) We were pulling a lot of power out there. So many pens with heated waterers. It was overloaded. We built breeding pens that day and blew three fuses while doing it.. after we unplugged all the heated dishes/heat lamps for the chicks. If power tools alone (a table saw, a radio, nail gun and corded drill) can blow that many fuses.. there was not enough support for the amount of energy we needed.

No one use any type of extension cord with a heated lamp. That is an accident waiting to happen according to the fire marshall I spoke with.

Heat lamps alone are dangerous if they fall, but they are even more dangerous if using an extension cord because they don't have to fall to start a fire.

This is why I am insulating the new barn and heating with a mini split. Safe. And it will be heated just above freezing in the chicken part, and in one room up to 60 so I can run EcoGlows and my incubator.

Sorry for the bold and stuff above. I know some people skim, and if they can just see what I have to say and take it for what it's worth, I could save someone else from the horrifying reality of barn fires.

I am planning to pick up my first pair of black silkies soon. I wanted to know how many silkie eggs can a silkie sit on and successfully hatch? I have been thinking about buying some silkie eggs and letting her incubate them when it gets warmer. Thanks!
My white silkie"Minnie" sat on 18 eggs! most were not hers. toward the end I candled only 5 were dud eggs. Shes a good mom

Hi aoxa,
just read about your accident, and I felt really shocked about it
hit.gif
, but its also very admirable the way you are working hard to rebuild everything and especially how you take advantage of this horrible experience to help other people not to go through similar situations
clap.gif
, though we cannot expect less than that from you, a person always willing to help and give good advice.
Go for it aoxa!!! I know we are all eager to see your always beatiful photographs of this new project.

Does anyone know where I can get splash or grey silkie hens from near Southern Maryland? I have tried ordering splash silkies from my pet chicken and gotten only blacks. I would like a pullet or adult that way I am sure no roosters and it would be better for introducing to my flock of 5 month olds. Any info would be greatly appreciated! =) thanks!

Oh yea and bearded preferably!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Hi aoxa,
just read about your accident, and I felt really shocked about it
hit.gif
, but its also very admirable the way you are working hard to rebuild everything and especially how you take advantage of this horrible experience to help other people not to go through similar situations
clap.gif
, though we cannot expect less than that from you, a person always willing to help and give good advice.
Go for it aoxa!!! I know we are all eager to see your always beatiful photographs of this new project.

I'm really happy to help pass along the message of fire safety :)

So many people helped us out with donations and we were able to purcahse a baby barn and have it custom built. The colour is more mustard than the images show. Almost looks beige on my screen... anyway...

Pop door. It's floor level. Ah well. :p

One window in the back.

Being introduced to their new area.

Hope the frizzled silkie. I am thinking she is fathered by George Jr - my 1st generation sizzle. She has no beard and very little foot feathers.. but she has 5 toes. Her grandmother was a buff laced polish who was unbearded. That's the only explanation I can come up with as to why she is not bearded.

She'll make a good broody. Her mother was extreme. I mean EXTREME. Way more than your average silkie. Maybe the polish grandmother will help her not be extreme but enough to satisfy my broody love.

She has a vaulted skull. Still feathering out @ 7 weeks. She may look much better in a couple of weeks.

Doc (blue silkie I showed earlier) looks much better at 10 weeks. Wait.. Now she/he's 11 weeks.

Silkie X girl. I just love her. I think she has some barred rock in there. At least that's what Kev said. She was barred @ 3 weeks, but it's so vague now. Must only be fathered by a male with 1 copy.

Either way her grandfather is Jagger. Which means so much. He was my favourite rooster (tied with Steve of course).

I think it's sooooo adorable to see the cockerel show the pullets how to lay on eggs, and try to get them in a nest box, cooing. He want's babies so much! He doesn't quite have the mating part down yet. They just look at him on the nest, and resume what they were doing. Makes me smile every time I see it.
love.gif

I think it's sooooo adorable to see the cockerel show the pullets how to lay on eggs, and try to get them in a nest box, cooing. He want's babies so much! He doesn't quite have the mating part down yet. They just look at him on the nest, and resume what they were doing. Makes me smile every time I see it.
love.gif
Only with no eggs...

Just bought 2 beautiful Silkies from Quality Feed and I plan on getting some more Silkie chicks from them tomorrow!
jumpy.gif
Good luck! That's how it all starts and next thing you know...you have waaaaay more than you ever planned on having!
lol.png
And then you want to breed and show and do all this other stuff.
big_smile.png

Just think about how I want to breed "reverse paint" silkies (mottled) haha there you go, painted feathers!
thumbsup.gif

PaintedFeathers over there got me thinking that maybe I should come up with some sort of a name for my little bantam operation.
lol.png
I have the Silkies and Cochins and I plan to breed them this year. And show! As soon as those buggers stop sneezing! I'm sending one to be looked at and hopefully I'll get some answers to what's going on with couple of our Silkies and the Turkey next door. Tylosin, Oxine, VetRX, Aureomycin didn't do anything either. This is where my expertise ends.
lol.png

But anyway. I need a "farm name"!
big_smile.png
I live on Ray of Light Farm but the chickens belong to me (other than a couple that the farm owns) so I feel that they should have their own farm name.
lol.png

Suggestions?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom