Silkie thread!

Do any of you free range your silkies? I have two silkies in my flock. They are my boys favorite birds cause they are so pretty to look at and gentle. We hatched them a few months ago and for some reason my boys have bonded with these two particular girls. Well they are slow and my husband says they are blind cause of all the feathers on their heads. I am afraid if I let them in the yard they would be the easiest target. I don't worry as much about my BR or even my cochins.
I free range all sixteen of my Silkie flock. Twelve Catdance four month olds and four Sheryl Butler seven month olds. They are very savvy at it since they have been foraging in the garden since they were small. I leave the water pan in the same place so everyone can find it easy. I only trimmed one pullet crest because she was always such a mess. Not because she couldn't find her way around.

Last edited:
Thank you!

It's all done! :D

You can check out the interior on my coop page to see the set up. I am very pleased with it. :)
Quote: I couldn't agree more.

It's been quite a while since I've posted on here. I don't have any new silkie pics at the moment, but I should soon, I have 4 chicks growing up right now, I'll update on their progress. Also, lo and behold, one of my girls started laying again last week. I've been without silkie eggs for almost 5 weeks..

I do have a picture of two more silkie/oegb cross chicks. The mother of the orangish chick is 7 years old, the more yellow chick's mother is 5 years old. And their father, my silkie, is about 8 months
wink.png

Don't remember if I'd posted that my 3 Silkies are Broody again or not. Roo is a Partridge. 2yr old hen is Crested/Bearded White. Also a 1yr old Black Bearded non Crested hen and a 10mo old White Showgirl. They have been sharing 9 eggs. 1 hatched 2 days ago and another hatched today.
wee.gif
Both are Blue Silkies. One is Crested, one isn't. I'm sure hoping all of the eggs hatch!
smile.png

the two chicks looking at each other are silkies the chick behind the one on the far right is also a silkie, all of them are 3 days old

Awwwwwwww All the babies are so cute!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Finally finished the new coop and run! I put the youngsters in to try it out today.
Nice!
thumbsup.gif
Great job.

Hi all...I'm new to silkies but had a question. I know in some breeds they can be sexed by the spot on their heads...are there any silkies pairings that will produce color sex links?

So pretty! Where do you get the bands for the legs? I was looking for them a while back for my 5 lavender chicks, wanted a way to tell them apart while they were growing and I was trying to decide which pairing to keep.
Can anyone suggest somewhere I can get removable leg bands? I'd like to be able to mark the chicks easier for gender ID in pictures, some of them kinda look the same on camera. LOL
If you are looking to mark little chicks, I use the Vet Wrap (from the feed stores) for birth to about 2 weeks old. They have lots of colors, you CAN write on them with a black sharpie, and they stretch as they grow. After 2 weeks I go to colored zip ties, put on just tight enough they can't get their feet out. With silkies I put it above their 5th toe so it doesn't come off, but really loose. When they get big enough I decide who I want to keep, that's when I put on their numbered poultry leg bands.

I bought mine from a show - but you can get them online easily. A quick search turned up tons on Ebay, as well as online poultry supply companies. http://compare.ebay.com/like/251258620206?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

For Silkies I would suggest 9 or larger - give them room for their feathers too.

P.S. - I don't think anybody can ID chicks.. they have to be quite a bit older... preferably 6 months
wink.png
I got my leg bands here http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6
But the link ChickNmamma posted looks like a MUCH better deal!
big_smile.png

I never even thought of the vet wrap for chicks. That's an excellent idea! Duh!
lau.gif

Theoretically mahogany (as in RIR) plus lavender might give a pinkish bird.

Alternatively, you could try crossing your silkie with a flamingo...
lau.gif
gig.gif

If you are talking about a layer ration, do not give it until they begin laying (usually somewhere between 8 and 10 months, but can be later). If you are talking about a gamebird or other ration that does not contain higher levels of calcium, then changing over now is fine.
Question, I have one silkie with 5 LF all the same age. The LF will start laying much sooner then Marbles... What should I feed them as they are all one big happy family?
Here's Skittles and his adopted family.

Woohoo!!! I can swim!
What adorable photos! LOVE your little duck!
It's been quite a while since I've posted on here. I don't have any new silkie pics at the moment, but I should soon, I have 4 chicks growing up right now, I'll update on their progress. Also, lo and behold, one of my girls started laying again last week. I've been without silkie eggs for almost 5 weeks..

I do have a picture of two more silkie/oegb cross chicks. The mother of the orangish chick is 7 years old, the more yellow chick's mother is 5 years old. And their father, my silkie, is about 8 months
wink.png

OMG! So cute! Now I need to look up oegb.
Little Lila scratching around like a mad woman.

I decided to name this chick Nosy Rosie. She's very nosy. lol And I'm thinking it's a girl. Still too young to tell but sure looks girlie compared to the other 3 that are definitely boys. Keeping my fingers crossed!
fl.gif

She's so cute! Time for another visit to see them all.
Funny video of Snowmiser sizing his own reflection up, and then deciding he looks too tough and backs away
lol.png

Your too funny!

My 2 Silkies. Obviously no idea on the gender but fingers crossed for females. The white one is developing slower than the partridge one but I think it may be almost a week younger too. Whitey does not even have any tail feathers yet.

She's so cute! Time for another visit to see them all.
Come on over! I have those two frizzle chicks now, one needs to go. I think it's a cockerel. lol And I decided I'm giving up on trying to hatch my own eggs. They've all been infertile. I think Ace is just too young still. I never seen him trying to mate. And I can't get the hang of AI, so I'll just order a dozen eggs and be done with it. Until next year!!
lau.gif

Come on over! I have those two frizzle chicks now, one needs to go. I think it's a cockerel. lol And I decided I'm giving up on trying to hatch my own eggs. They've all been infertile. I think Ace is just too young still. I never seen him trying to mate. And I can't get the hang of AI, so I'll just order a dozen eggs and be done with it. Until next year!!
lau.gif
Tempting.... Lets order!!! We can split it, Ill pay, you incubate?! Haha

Back
Top Bottom