Silkie thread!

I have a Silkie question, my questionable silkies that I had posted a couple weeks back are now 20 and 21 weeks old. Should I expect an egg soon from anyone and what are the signs that the female is going into adulthood? My other chickens get red combs and faces, squat, they get noisier with the older chicken voice. But I've never raised a Silkie to point of lay so I don't know what I'm looking for? My first silkie girl was about 2 years old and had little wattles and she had a small straight comb (she was pet quailty) and they were kinda reddish in color but since she was poor quailty and my new girls are much better quality they don't have the reddish combs or much for wattles if any. Thank you for any input:)

May I see a pic of her now?

I am in love!! I love the odd balls!! I think she/he is calico. I had a calico roo he was very petite and feisty and defended my girls against a dog. Out of the 3 other roos he was the only one to stand up. It broke my heart;(
THANKS!!! I love the oddballs too, we hatched a Japanese silkie cross and it is the cutest thing ever, so tiny with feathered feet and a big Mohawk but its smoothed feathered every where else.

Should I be worried that my silkie seems to have horrible beak eye coordination? I've watched her peck at something several times (like a treat that she obviously wanted from my hand) but miss and peck around. She eventually gets there, and isn't underweight or anything so I know she's eating, just can't seem to peck anything on the first try, but my cochin has deadly accuracy. Is her fluff just getting in the way? Should I try and trim it? Or just let her be a little uncoordinated as long as she's eating fine?
I would trim the feathers of the beard and crest away from the eyes. Some out of this batch have completely obscured vision and I've had to trim them. They practically just learn how to "be blind" the same way a chicken who was born without eyes does it. Still able to eat and drink and get around, but can't protect itself since it can't see that something is trying to get it!

My preferred tool I use are those tiny scissors they use to cut out stitches from wounds.

Last edited:
I have a ? My young black/paint boy is a mouth breather. He actually seems lightheaded sometimes. He meanders never gets overly excited and gasps for air after swallowing. He has nothing lodged and is beautifully healthy otherwise. Good weight, good feather, bright eyed, there is an odd lump about the size of a peanut on the left side of his lower neck where it meets the body. The only oddity we have noticed is his nostrils seem flat in comparison to his sisters that is the same age. Has anyone ever noticed anything like this?

quick question!
I am working on an informative speech, for one of my college classes I am taking, on silkies! I would love to include the percentage of how many people in the U.S. own silkies, but can't find any information regarding it. Does any of y'all happen to know the percentage of people in the U.S. that own silkies???

Last edited:
I have a ? My young black/paint boy is a mouth breather. He actually seems lightheaded sometimes. He meanders never gets overly excited and gasps for air after swallowing. He has nothing lodged and is beautifully healthy otherwise. Good weight, good feather, bright eyed, there is an odd lump about the size of a peanut on the left side of his lower neck where it meets the body. The only oddity we have noticed is his nostrils seem flat in comparison to his sisters that is the same age. Has anyone ever noticed anything like this?

Sounds as if his nostril air way passage is to narrow to breath deeply through. That's just a rare genetic thing. Rare to the point that if you wanted to breed him, both roo and hen need the gene to get it. So you'll be ok there.

More pics of the peeps! I thought I had two partridge but it looks like one is something else what do you guys think buff?

Back
Top Bottom