Silkie thread!

Recently got some decent silkies . But I don't know a bunch about genetics and breeding . I have splash , buff , cuckoo , white , black , and a blue based partridge . Can I get a porcelain , lavender , or any other color from the colors I have ?

Last edited:
I do know that to get lavender both parents must either be lavender or each carry the gene. Its recessive so for it to show up on a bird they must be homozygous lavender. That's all I know after doing some research in my lavender hen.

I lost my rooster this winter, it was a terrible winter! Well, I've been trying find a rooster all spring/summer. I finally found one, but it has silver leakage, and its comb is too red, although a walnut comb. Do you think it is ok to breed with my 3 girls, if I"m just selling to friends and family and maybe a few on CL, as long as I sell as pet quality?

I lost my rooster this winter, it was a terrible winter!  Well, I've been trying find a rooster all spring/summer. I finally found one, but it has silver leakage, and its comb is too red, although a walnut comb.  Do you think it is ok to breed with my 3 girls, if I"m just selling to friends and family and maybe a few on CL, as long as I sell as pet quality?  

Certainly. If your hens are better quality you may get some nice chicks. The red comb thing shows up every now and again.

Has anyone tried hatching rounder looking eggs to see if they will be hens? I know a lot of people think this is a myth just wondering if anyone has put it to the test?

Back
Top Bottom